School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj_qwert

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight into what DPT school is like. I have been out of college for a couple years and wanted to know what the program is like.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly its not that hard. Just make sure you kept up on the material and form study groups and it should be easy at least at UB. I work 30 hour per wk and still find time to do the things i like and get good grades. There are alot of group work projects and presentations. So, if you dont like presenting out loud it kinda suxs. Tests are made up of both written and practical exams (preforming infront of teacher). At my school we have two 2 month clinicals, one 3 month clinical and one 6 month, where we can do anywhere we like. Finally we have a thesis due at the end before graduation, which we can do on anything we like.

Are you asking about a transitional DPT or are you talking DPT as in you have no formal PT degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking about a transitional DPT or are you talking DPT as in you have no formal PT degree?

I am talking about the entry level DPT program, I have a BS and MS but no degree in PT.

Just so u know the semster I'm in is a 16wk semester in 9 wks (40 hours per week). This is the only semester like this the rest are pretty straight forward. 4 hour per class each day, and a 5 1/2 hour one on friday. I sit in the chair for so long my butt sweats. My back kills from leaning over so long and writing down notes. So, yeh i think may need to see a PT after this semester. Joking of course b/c i already know about proper body mechanics, at i think i do until i wake up in a puddle of drool realizing that ive been in a flex position for the past hour. Oh yeh 5 mins break are nice, if u wake up in time. If you want some advice for PT school drink lots and lots of caffeine, it will at least keep u up for the 1st half of the classes.

Not all schools do this crazy semester.

I just had a couple of questions:
1. Are there any programs that start in the spring?
2. I will have a masters a biomedical science this may. Will the program still be three years even if i have a masters?

Thanks

1) i havent heard of any, most start in the fall. I think some start in the summer to do gross anatomy.

2) No, the courses are totally different. However having a bio degree could help u later if u decide to go back to school to get a Ph.D or something. We have one student with a bio degree in our class. Its still going to be three years no matter where u go, however if money is a issue look to go to a state schools.