Schools: DMU VS CPSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOOKY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

DMU's 2010 class is full and students are now being weight-listed. As far as what makes it so great besides facilities:
1) strong academic curriculum integrated with DO's
2) high board pass rates
3) very "free" 4th year which allows you to see a ton of residency programs
4) very strong reputation nationwide (amongst residency programs)

It is a great program.

"DMU's 2010 class is full and students are now being weight-listed."

I'm glad to see the Iowa program doing so well. I think they've worked hard to make it a great program. Maybe some of the other schools could take a few pointers from them? Just my opinion. We all can learn from each other, right?

I hope Iowa keeps their high standards up!

In my opinion, I can't stress it enough, take this school issue very seriously. You're paying lots of cash...................

If you have decent grades and mcats, please don't ignore the temple, iowa and arizona programs.

Personally, I'd sit on the waiting list.

When selecting a school I find it important to

1. Number of full time faculty. You're paying for an education, not another person's hobby, right?
2. Class schedules. Look at at least the first two years. (If they wouldn't give me that I wouldn't give them the 100k and my time.)
3. The profile of the students that attend the school. Face it, if I'm a high quality candidate, I want to have peers and an administration that share my same enthusiasm for an academically fair and challenging atmosphere where I can live up to my potential.

If you need the time to learn the material, make sure that the schedules allow plenty of time for you to study.

I think 2 hours per hour of lecture is fair to the student.

Members don't see this ad :)
JOOKY said:
For all you DMU ppl... what is so great about the school? Why did you choose it over sunny Cali?

This is an easy question for me. When I was applying to pod schools, California was my first choice by far because I had two friends in the program, one graduated already, and the other was a third year. CSPM was the first interview I had. I was very disappointed for the following reasons:

1. The school is in Oakland (worse part mind you) and the clinic is in San Fran. Not the commute that Im interested in.
2. Sammuel Merritt is a hole. Its all cement and I felt like I was in jail.
3. The interview was a group interview with one question asked to each candidate, "Why do you want to be a podiatrist?". The doctors who interviewed us were late and acted like they didnt want to be there. I asked about some statistics and he ignored my question.
4. Everyone was accepted on the spot that same day. This obviously showed me that the interview meant nothing.

I dont know how their curriculum is because I never matriculated so I cant comment on that. But I heard that its not bad. Both of my friends who graduated got great residencies but that was before they had financial problems. in fact, they used to be fully integrated with DOs. They have moved campuses twice since then. If I were you I would still interview there and at DMU, even if you get waitlisted. You may have a different experience at CSPM especially since it was over 2 years ago when I interviewed. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I obvioulsy think DMU is top but there are many good schools. Good luck with your decisions. Just make sure you make them on your own and not completely based on this forum.

CPMS, Scholl and AZPOD are all lucky and/or smart b/c they are in positions to continue to expand. The property value in Des Moines is definitely lower than NY; AZPOD everything is new and Scholl was smart enough to move out of the city to where they can continue to grow.

Speaking of CPMS, it seems that as soon as one project is done another begins. Which is great b/c you are either growing or dying and it seems they have the ability to continue to grow. The new student center is done, the AC is almost done, the new surgery labs are done, the anatomy lab starts after that, and I’m sure there are more projects on the horizon.

I would have to agree w/jonwill about the strong selling points. For me an integrated program with an allopathic or osteopathic school was important. I didn't consider Arizona because it was a brand new program and is bound to have some growing pains for a few years, although I have no doubt it will a great program in the future. Scholl is also a great program, but the students are not nearly as integrated with the MD students as they would like you to believe. At DMU almost no distinction is made between the DO students and the DPMs during the first year. All of that coupled with the fact that the board scores are almost always 100% pass rate and EVERYONE that graduated last year got a great three year surgical residency are hard to beat. But thats just my opinion.

Another thing that sets CPMS apart as Jon mentioned in the freedom in the 4th year. You are free to venture into any and all areas of the US. You are not required to spend anytime in a CPMS or any Des Moines clinic (you do that in your third year). You have no obligations to any program that you are not interested in. I'm not sure but I have been told that not every program has this advantage.

I just have something to say and i don't mean any controversy by it. I think this is a really great resource. It's a valuable tool for everyone, but we all have to remember that most of this stuff on here is heresay and of the opinions of the people writing it. I've been reading several posts from people and one specifically from Jonwil about "DMU's class of 2010 is full and people are now being wait listed" I recently interviewed and was accepted by DMU (i am very happy and thankful) after I read those comments posted by him. I just think from now on we all should be careful on what we say on here and make sure it is as accurate as we all can make it. I'm not complaining, I guess I'm just stating the obvious, I know no one would intentionally give misinformation on purpose-my statements above are just some of personal frustration and anguish. Thanks, I look forward to meeting all my future classmates.

densmore22 said:
I just have something to say and i don't mean any controversy by it. I think this is a really great resource. It's a valuable tool for everyone, but we all have to remember that most of this stuff on here is heresay and of the opinions of the people writing it. I've been reading several posts from people and one specifically from Jonwil about "DMU's class of 2010 is full and people are now being wait listed" I recently interviewed and was accepted by DMU (i am very happy and thankful) after I read those comments posted by him. I just think from now on we all should be careful on what we say on here and make sure it is as accurate as we all can make it. I'm not complaining, I guess I'm just stating the obvious, I know no one would intentionally give misinformation on purpose-my statements above are just some of personal frustration and anguish. Thanks, I look forward to meeting all my future classmates.

I know that if anyone on this forum knows what he/she is talking about it is Jon. One, he is a very successful 3rd year student. Two, he was the president of the IPMSA, which is the governing body at CPMS.

I'm glad to hear that you are going to be joining us, but just feel fortunate that you were except instead of calling-out your colleagues b/c I know for a fact that his statement is 100% accurate and not hearsay. People can and still will get into CPMSl, so if you have an interview go and put your best foot forward. Students accept and back-out all of the time, so spots are continuously opening and being filled.

densmore22 said:

I would consider you one of the fortunate ones then. That statement came out of the horse's mouth, the dean. Eventhough you were accepted, that does not disprove JonWill's statement. Jon has been very influential here at CPMS and always gives fact, not hearsay. There are reasons why one would be accepted after a waitlist was initiated and Dr. FeelBodatious touched on one. I am also happy that you will be joining our team. Good luck with your studies and we hope to see you next year.

Becareful calling out jonwill, his statement is a hundred percert correct. congrats, but be very cautious with things you don't know! He happens to sit in on meeting in the interworking of CPMS. The Dean (Yoho) has also stated that enrollment is full to openly to the whole student body he like to keep us informed.

Ok, first, I do feel extremely lucky and blessed, maybe I lucked out, maybe not, I don't know, I do know that I was accepted outright after I read that post. Second, I wasn't trying to call anybody out and I apologize if it came across that way, that wasn't my intention at all. I was merely saying that after I read those comments by Jonwill, I was a little flustered and felt like my bubble was popped is all I was getting at. I mean no disrespect to anyone on here and I am not questioning anybody's abilities or talents whatsoever, I was just expressing my opinion, just like most people do on here so again, I apologize for causing any uproar.

I just want to reitterate, I'm not talkin **** to anyone, I have no room to talk **** to anyone and I have the upmost respect to everyone on here. Also, I think it's a good testament to what DMU has accomplished, I haven't heard of any of the other schools waitlisting people yet so you all should be commended for what you have done for this school and I am really looking forward to going there and advancing it (with all luck of course). Alrighty, thanks to everyone on here.

gustydoc said:
Scholl is also a great program, but the students are not nearly as integrated with the MD students as they would like you to believe.QUOTE]

Could someone explain this to me so I know what to expect? I understand that the Anatomy and Biochem are the same, but what about some of the other classes such as Pathology or Pharm? I was looking at DMU, and they appeared to take more general medical school classes than Scholl. Is this true or are the educations in the end about the same? Is there a larger emphasis on Biomechanics and lower extremity at Scholl?

Do you DMU students get to cut up the full cadaver first or do you learn it some other way and then get into the lower extremity anatomy lab? I can remember talking with some DMU-COM students a year ago and they told me that the DPM students only get to work with the legs after the DO students are done cutting up the body? Is this true?

doclm said:
gustydoc said:
Scholl is also a great program, but the students are not nearly as integrated with the MD students as they would like you to believe.QUOTE]

I can remember talking with some DMU-COM students a year ago and they told me that the DPM students only get to work with the legs after the DO students are done cutting up the body? Is this true?

Wow! Whoever said that probably didnt realize that one of his lab partners was a DPM. All my partners were DOs and they didnt know I was in the DPM program until I told them. There was no change in respect. At DMU, you disect the entire body with the DO students. No one really knows who's in what program until you tell them or you memorize everyone in your class. There is no distinction made in these courses. So in essence, the DPM students disect the leg twice. Just in much, much more detail when you go through lower limb anatomy. It amazes me how much more we know and learn in lower limb anatomy than the osteopathic students. Anyway, I hope that answers your question. I cant comment on Scholl, never been there.

IlizaRob said:
doclm said:
Wow! Whoever said that probably didnt realize that one of his lab partners was a DPM. All my partners were DOs and they didnt know I was in the DPM program until I told them. There was no change in respect. At DMU, you disect the entire body with the DO students. No one really knows who's in what program until you tell them or you memorize everyone in your class. There is no distinction made in these courses. So in essence, the DPM students disect the leg twice. Just in much, much more detail when you go through lower limb anatomy. It amazes me how much more we know and learn in lower limb anatomy than the osteopathic students. Anyway, I hope that answers your question. I cant comment on Scholl, never been there.

Thanks, I think this must have been an ignorant or misinformed MS1 student. However, I have talked with other DO students at DMU that say good things about the DPM students.

doclm said:
gustydoc said:

Could someone explain this to me so I know what to expect? I understand that the Anatomy and Biochem are the same, but what about some of the other classes such as Pathology or Pharm? I was looking at DMU, and they appeared to take more general medical school classes than Scholl. Is this true or are the educations in the end about the same? Is there a larger emphasis on Biomechanics and lower extremity at Scholl?

Do you DMU students get to cut up the full cadaver first or do you learn it some other way and then get into the lower extremity anatomy lab? I can remember talking with some DMU-COM students a year ago and they told me that the DPM students only get to work with the legs after the DO students are done cutting up the body? Is this true?

DO's and DPM's take gross anatomy together in the fall as first years. The last of 4 sections covers the lower extremity (nov-dec). At this time, the anatomy staff cuts single legs from the cadavers before any dissection is done on them, leaving one leg on each cadaver intact for the gross dissection. The legs taken are given to the 2nd year DPM's for their lower limb dissection that starts a few weeks later in January. The DPM's get the "gross version" of the lower limb and then study it more in depth in the 2nd semester of the 2nd year.

doclm said:
IlizaRob said:
Thanks, I think this must have been an ignorant or misinformed MS1 student. However, I have talked with other DO students at DMU that say good things about the DPM students.

I think that the DOs and the DPMs have really good relationships. I know that a lot of my friends are DOs. Heck, you go through hell that first year together, that helps anyone bond. I think that a lot of the DOs really like the DPMs b/c we are a little more laid back. We all know that we are going to be DPMs when we are done, so we aren't competing against them for residencies. I think that helps them relax around us.

As for the anatomy, CPMS is going to catch and probably pass Scholl next year in the way of cutting edge technology in the anatomy lab. They are renovating the labs for the DO/DPM anatomy classes. Unfortunately for the PT/PA students they have to use our old lab. They are also adding a supplemental lab for research and demos.

Dr_Feelgood said:
As for the anatomy, CPMS is going to catch and probably pass Scholl next year in the way of cutting edge technology in the anatomy lab. They are renovating the labs for the DO/DPM anatomy classes. Unfortunately for the PT/PA students they have to use our old lab. They are also adding a supplemental lab for research and demos.

Blah...Blah...Blah

Yeah, that was a dumb question. :laugh:

"CPMS is DMU right?"

doclm said:
Blah...Blah...Blah

Yeah, that was a dumb question. :laugh:

"CPMS is DMU right?"

Des Moines University and CPMS (College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery) are the same. CPMS is one of the colleges in the university. Like Scholl and Rosalind Franklin.

JonWill coverd all the main points. I just want to give you some hope if you still want to apply. I am DPM-09 at DMU and I applied in march and interviewed on april 1st. I was looking at the same situation as you but I was accepted and I am loving it here. DMU is the place to be for Podiatry. Good Luck