Schools for Mol Bio + Genetics MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted819639

Hello everyone,

I am (re)building my school list for this year's app, and I am looking for medical schools with strong Mol Bio + Genetics graduate programs. I know about the big players (Stanford, Harvard, Baylor, JHU, Penn) and PIs in my specific field, but I am looking for programs that I may have missed to round out my list.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Literally every school has PI’s in molecular bio and genetics...

Reactions: 1 users
@rtn1 I understand; keyword "strong." Looking to hear about up and coming programs or a non T10/T20 schools with interesting genetics research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Strong Mol Bio + Genetics is extremely broad. Those are two very broad fields so it's hard to recommend programs that would be a good fit for you.

And other top 10 schools (UCLA, UCSF, Cornell/Tri-I, etc.) certainly have very strong research in mol bio and/or genetics. Also, UCSD is a very good one. But it depends on what specifically you're interested in. Applying and interviewing is sometimes the best way to see for yourself whether a school's research is "strong" for your particular interests.

I always thought UCSC, as home of the Genome Browser, might have access to some pretty sweet analytical tools and a lot of data for correlating things across levels of gene expression (e.g tissue specific chromatin maps and relation to transcription factor binding). I’ll admit it’s been a while since I’ve played around on genome browser but I always felt like there were big possibilities there.

UCSC does not have a medical school (doing a postdoc in David Haussler's lab would be pretty cool though!)

Ah, shows what I know. I’m a lifelong east coaster. Agree about the post doc though

University of Washington, University of Utah, UPenn, Columbia (to round out the excellent suggestions of UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Cornell/Tri-I, and WashU) and all the programs that you originally listed. Other strong contenders to consider based on your preferences: Mayo, Vanderbilt, Emory, OHSU, Iowa, UC Irvine, Mt Sinai, Colorado, UChicago, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill