You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Schools good for me?
Started by Chandler Scott
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This looks like a job for... @Elkhart
Some important considerations are
1. Cost
2. # of OOS students accepted
3. How things are factored into your score (gpa, gre, experiences, interviews, etc)
4. What kind of teaching style is used
5. What your interests are
For example, my application is pretty strong but I lacked in the interview department. This year I am likely to apply to some schools that don't conduct interviews. That said, there are numerous schools that allow IS tuition after a year-these are also attractive. Finally, I know that I don't want to apply to schools that don't consider GRE, as it is a strong part of my application.
For you, briefly looking at your stats, what this might look like is applying to some schools that don't consider GPA (yours is on the lower end, not bad in any means but not likely to be competitive at the tougher schools)
Some important considerations are
1. Cost
2. # of OOS students accepted
3. How things are factored into your score (gpa, gre, experiences, interviews, etc)
4. What kind of teaching style is used
5. What your interests are
For example, my application is pretty strong but I lacked in the interview department. This year I am likely to apply to some schools that don't conduct interviews. That said, there are numerous schools that allow IS tuition after a year-these are also attractive. Finally, I know that I don't want to apply to schools that don't consider GRE, as it is a strong part of my application.
For you, briefly looking at your stats, what this might look like is applying to some schools that don't consider GPA (yours is on the lower end, not bad in any means but not likely to be competitive at the tougher schools)
And More on what those other things look like....
A number of schools do not favor OOS applicants at all. A&M is one of those, numerous others take less than 30. When looking at schools like NCSU, WSU, CSU, this is important because they are very competitive. KSU has a large class size and takes a number of OOS students.
Say your interests are exotics.
UF has a very strong exotic program.
Some schools allow tracking if you specifically want to be in large, or small animals, vs mixed
Sone schools have great opportunities for students interested in research (UMN)
You won't know until you go to their websites, start browsing, and maybe ask questions to the advisors
A number of schools do not favor OOS applicants at all. A&M is one of those, numerous others take less than 30. When looking at schools like NCSU, WSU, CSU, this is important because they are very competitive. KSU has a large class size and takes a number of OOS students.
Say your interests are exotics.
UF has a very strong exotic program.
Some schools allow tracking if you specifically want to be in large, or small animals, vs mixed
Sone schools have great opportunities for students interested in research (UMN)
You won't know until you go to their websites, start browsing, and maybe ask questions to the advisors
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The number you apply to will vary. It is at least $150 per school. I have done 2-3 in the past. This year I'll do 5-6 because the low number hasnt worked in my favor.
The downside to this is that interviewing is very expensive for me since I live on the west coast, far away from most of the schools. I spend at least 500 per interview (I say that even for my IS, WSU, because I had to get new tires to go over the pass haha). I definitely can't afford to attend 6 interviews, which is another reason why I'm looking at schools that don't conduct them.
But if youre worried about scoring *any* interviews, applying to more increases your chances.
So, that's a personal decision to make-there is no right answer.
The downside to this is that interviewing is very expensive for me since I live on the west coast, far away from most of the schools. I spend at least 500 per interview (I say that even for my IS, WSU, because I had to get new tires to go over the pass haha). I definitely can't afford to attend 6 interviews, which is another reason why I'm looking at schools that don't conduct them.
But if youre worried about scoring *any* interviews, applying to more increases your chances.
So, that's a personal decision to make-there is no right answer.
Coffee did a stellar job covering a lot of excellent points. I was pretty self-conscious about my application last cycle (average gre score, reasonable GPA of 3.5) so I applied to 10 schools. It was a lot financially, but I wanted it to be over and done with, so I didn't have another gap year. Of the ten I applied to, I was accepted to Sydney without an interview (don't believe they do them), and was offered interviews at WSU, Ross, Missouri, and Midwestern. I declined my interviews at Ross, and Missouri because at that point I had been accepted to MWU, and was recently accepted to WSU. My point being this, have confidence in yourself and your application. My hopes weren't always high, but when I walked into those interview rooms I did so with confidence, and that (I think) was a stronger part of my application.
I can give you some tips if you want to shoot me a PM [emoji846]The number you apply to will vary. It is at least $150 per school. I have done 2-3 in the past. This year I'll do 5-6 because the low number hasnt worked in my favor.
The downside to this is that interviewing is very expensive for me since I live on the west coast, far away from most of the schools. I spend at least 500 per interview (I say that even for my IS, WSU, because I had to get new tires to go over the pass haha). I definitely can't afford to attend 6 interviews, which is another reason why I'm looking at schools that don't conduct them.
But if youre worried about scoring *any* interviews, applying to more increases your chances.
So, that's a personal decision to make-there is no right answer.
Just curious, sorry to side track. When you say recently accepted to WSU, do you mean like recently now or recently around when you declined an interview at Mizzou. I'm not on their wait list anymore, I was just sort of curious if it was moving!Coffee did a stellar job covering a lot of excellent points. I was pretty self-conscious about my application last cycle (average gre score, reasonable GPA of 3.5) so I applied to 10 schools. It was a lot financially, but I wanted it to be over and done with, so I didn't have another gap year. Of the ten I applied to, I was accepted to Sydney without an interview (don't believe they do them), and was offered interviews at WSU, Ross, Missouri, and Midwestern. I declined my interviews at Ross, and Missouri because at that point I had been accepted to MWU, and was recently accepted to WSU. My point being this, have confidence in yourself and your application. My hopes weren't always high, but when I walked into those interview rooms I did so with confidence, and that (I think) was a stronger part of my application.
Recently like a week and a half ago!Just curious, sorry to side track. When you say recently accepted to WSU, do you mean like recently now or recently around when you declined an interview at Mizzou. I'm not on their wait list anymore, I was just sort of curious if it was moving!
Weird! I didn't know they had openings. I'm assuming you didn't go for it. Was it for Pullman or Logan?Recently like a week and a half ago!
It was for Logan, and the oos tuition for all four years wasn't much different than Midwestern after having to move yet again. So I declined. Had it been Pullman I would have quickly had to move my butt up there lolWeird! I didn't know they had openings. I'm assuming you didn't go for it. Was it for Pullman or Logan?
Last edited:
D
deleted676737
I see that I've been summoned!
@CoffeeQuestionMark covered all of the major things that you would likely need/want to consider, I think. You might find my Veterinary School Admissions Information tables and our Factors When Picking a School google doc to be useful resources in starting to narrow down your choices.
@CoffeeQuestionMark covered all of the major things that you would likely need/want to consider, I think. You might find my Veterinary School Admissions Information tables and our Factors When Picking a School google doc to be useful resources in starting to narrow down your choices.
That's an awesome table!I see that I've been summoned!
@CoffeeQuestionMark covered all of the major things that you would likely need/want to consider, I think. You might find my Veterinary School Admissions Information tables and our Factors When Picking a School google doc to be useful resources in starting to narrow down your choices.
WSU CVM has two schools? That’s coolWeird! I didn't know they had openings. I'm assuming you didn't go for it. Was it for Pullman or Logan?
It's complicated but short summary is we actually have 3 campuses (WA, UT, and MT). With all whiche (those that get contracts), WA, ID, MT, and UT people being eligible for IS rates to start with. OSS WA campus people can get IS after a year but OSS at UT will forever be OSS price. Everyone eventually all ends up in WA for school by year 3.WSU CVM has two schools? That’s cool
Three, sort of! There is the Utah program and the Montana one. I think it's two years in Utah, then 2 in Pullman, but only 1 year in Montana (and 3 in Pullman). And I think the Montana year is only for residents of that state.WSU CVM has two schools? That’s cool
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ninja'd, and your explanation was better 😛It's complicated but short summary is we actually have 3 campuses (WA, UT, and MT). With all whiche (those that get contracts), WA, ID, MT, and UT people being eligible for IS rates to start with. OSS WA campus people can get IS after a year but OSS at UT will forever be OSS price. Everyone eventually all ends up in WA for school by year 3.
WSU CVM has two schools? That’s cool
Iowa State also has a similar thing where there’s people from UNL that come over after a certain amount of time to finish classes at Iowa State. UNL way is only open to Nebraska residents though. Not sure if they get IS tuition for those last years at ISU but I would assume so.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 330
- Views
- 22K