Schools in Dangerous locations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in one of my interviews, during a tour, I found out a few DPM students transferred schools for safety reasons.

They said one podiatry school is in such a sketchy location the guards of the school carry a machine gun?

And another school there are a TON of house break ins.

Didnt say what school, but do any podiatry students feel living conditions are this scary?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im willing to bet the OP is talking about NYCPM lol New York is pretty rough.

They didnt tell us the name since it was against policy, but you may infact be correct.

I heard that some people got mugged on their way to interview at CSPM, so my bet is that it's that one. Western campus is in a ****ty área but most people don't live close to campus. Midwestern is in a great área, all around the school. Temple is in one of the safer areas around Philly. I mean the pod campus is literally across the street from police headquarters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that some people got mugged on their way to interview at CSPM, so my bet is that it's that one. Western campus is in a ****ty área but most people don't live close to campus. Midwestern is in a great área, all around the school. Temple is in one of the safer areas around Philly. I mean the pod campus is literally across the street from police headquarters.

So after some poking around looks like the guard was from New york, I dont doubt the robberies at cspm , anyway, well see how the neighborhoods are as interviews go on.

I must be weird because I felt super safe in NY went I went in June, lol. Haven't lived there though, so..

I must be weird because I felt super safe in NY went I went in June, lol. Haven't lived there though, so..

New york is a big place. I was born in that Area'ish.

My father mentioned, and experienced, some places which were so rough they would jack up your car and steal your car wheels and everything off the side of the street in the matter of minutes in daylight.

Probably right, from the google images, seems like a more run down area of NY

New york is a big place. I was born in that Area'ish.

My father mentioned, and experienced, some places which were so rough they would jack up your car and steal your car wheels and everything off the side of the street in the matter of minutes in daylight.

Probably right, from the google images, seems like a more run down area of NY

Ah, very true. That's crazy!

NYCPM is in (from what i've heard) the more safe area of Harlem. It's pretty close to upper west side too

Ha! You might get mugged at the Oakland campus if you had Franklin's hanging out of your pockets. I never had a problem at the campus.

I've heard things here and there about campuses but I think it is always safe to use big city precautions when walking around the campuses that are in a big city.

All of you will have rotations at hospitals that offer free healthcare. The majority of those hospitals have some less than pleasant people hanging around them. Whichever school you go to there will be times when you want to be cautious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know they meant assault rifle probably lol
Anyway I got into Kent state so ill be in a safe location!
Is Independence, Ohio a rich area?

What's it like? Suburban, big houses, etc?
What stores did you see in the area?

And lol @ nycpm. If I end up going there, I'll just commute for my safety, I guess. The doctor I shadowed commuted when he was attending.

Is Independence, Ohio a rich area?

What's it like? Suburban, big houses, etc?
What stores did you see in the area?

And lol @ nycpm. If I end up going there, I'll just commute for my safety, I guess. The doctor I shadowed commuted when he was attending.

Im not sure if its a rich area or if it has huge homes but the two things I can say are that it is a suburb according to the students and that they dont see many diabetic patients in their area (typically this means the population is a bit better to do). By the way Independence Ohio is a weird city in that they dont allow houses to be built or something, so most students live in Parma, which is the next town over.

Im not sure if its a rich area or if it has huge homes but the two things I can say are that it is a suburb according to the students and that they dont see many diabetic patients in their area (typically this means the population is a bit better to do). By the way Independence Ohio is a weird city in that they dont allow houses to be built or something, so most students live in Parma, which is the next town over.

And idk who told you that we don't see many diabetic patients in our, but they are completely wrong. No matter where you go in the USA, a podiatrist's largest patient population will be diabetics. Our school clinic is not an exception, whether it be our Independence or Midtown clinic locations.

As for Independence, the city doesn't allow apartments or condos to be built. There are plenty of homes in the area, many of which are rented by students. It is an extremely safe suburb of Cleveland, one that many white collar workers live. You are correct that most students live in apartments in surrounding areas, Parma being one of them (roughly 10-15 min drive). My wife and I are renting a home in Parma right now and love it. Extremely cheap, nice area, close to school, easy access to all highways, and with a finished basement with a fully stocked bar (that I haven't used since I'm away on externships but that is for a different thread haha).

I will second that Parma is a relatively safe place to live. I haven't had any problems nor have I felt any fear for my safety, and I have a weird like for taking walks at night (relaxing).

I wouldn't dare do this in many places in the country, but I feel safe enough to do so here. It's not the most exciting town ever (it's a suburb after all) but it's a relatively short drive away from Cleveland which has a lot more entertainment options.

NYCPM is not in a bad area. Don't be an idiot and walk around at night by yourself and you should be good.

The guards at NYCPM definitely don't carry rifles or machine guns of any kind, at least not in the year and a half I've been here.

Reactions: 4 users
LOL no. (Scholl)
I was almost hit crossing the street, once by a Range Rover and another by an Audi. Those are some rough, manicured, well-edged streets. They even shook their fist at me.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a New Yorker. I attend NYCPM. I went college in West Harlem for 4 years and now I am in East Harlem, none of my security guards throughout my education carry any sort of "machine" guns on them. I also was raised in the City. My entire life I have never felt unsafe (and I am female). Do not walk around in any metropolitan area at 3am and you will be ok. Clinics are strategically located in the city to accommodate neighborhoods.

Barry is in the hood. The security here is a joke, they don't carry around machine guns though. Haven't heard of any house break ins. Don't walk at night or if you must be in a group.

Barry is in the hood. The security here is a joke, they don't carry around machine guns though. Haven't heard of any house break ins. Don't walk at night or if you must be in a group.

Yeah, vehemently disagree with this. I grew up in the hood. The real hood. Barry U is not in 'the hood'. It is in a predominantly non-white, non-Hispanic neighborhood.

The security is pretty lax but there are very few incidents with the surrounding population. I have received only 1 Public Safety alert all year, and it was from an undergrad who sold something to someone on OfferUp and met him at midnight in a school parking lot and she got robbed.
My undergrad had locktight security and we got a notice once a week about someone getting robbed.

The walking at night thing is also kind of dumb. Would I do it? Not if I could avoid it, and I usually can. Unless you live within walking distance of campus (which very few people do) there's no need to walk around at night. The rest of campus is gated. So it is a somewhat moot point.

At Temple's main campus the security guards have flamethrowers and tanks.

Yeah, vehemently disagree with this. I grew up in the hood. The real hood. Barry U is not in 'the hood'. It is in a predominantly non-white, non-Hispanic neighborhood.

The security is pretty lax but there are very few incidents with the surrounding population. I have received only 1 Public Safety alert all year, and it was from an undergrad who sold something to someone on OfferUp and met him at midnight in a school parking lot and she got robbed.
My undergrad had locktight security and we got a notice once a week about someone getting robbed.

The walking at night thing is also kind of dumb. Would I do it? Not if I could avoid it, and I usually can. Unless you live within walking distance of campus (which very few people do) there's no need to walk around at night. The rest of campus is gated. So it is a somewhat moot point.

There's a dollar store down the street that had an armed robbery this semester... the houses always have trash or furniture out in the yards, stray animals all around, I've seen police cars around some houses frequently, homeless people have been seen and known to jump the fence, have witnessed multiple strangers walking around who seem either drunk or high, classmates who have had their tags stolen, cars broken into, and female students who have been sexually harraassed... so yeah I call it pretty hood. And if you're studying at any place on campus, let's say the library until it closes, it isn't wise to walk alone to your car. Many times the gates to Landon are locked, past I think around 10, which means you have to walk all the way around when it's after midnight to get to the parking lots. So not a moot point just because you haven't had to experience the campus late at night.

There's a dollar store down the street that had an armed robbery this semester... the houses always have trash or furniture out in the yards, stray animals all around, I've seen police cars around some houses frequently, homeless people have been seen and known to jump the fence, have witnessed multiple strangers walking around who seem either drunk or high, classmates who have had their tags stolen, cars broken into, and female students who have been sexually harraassed... so yeah I call it pretty hood. And if you're studying at any place on campus, let's say the library until it closes, it isn't wise to walk alone to your car. Many times the gates to Landon are locked, past I think around 10, which means you have to walk all the way around when it's after midnight to get to the parking lots. So not a moot point just because you haven't had to experience the campus late at night.

I'm a Barry student who has lived in both super white bread, nothing bad ever happens, safe areas and hard core third world ghetto. Everyone has their own opinions, but to me Barry is in a safe area. I take my children and wife to Barry frequently. I've never felt worried about our safety. On the scale from hard core ghetto (1) to white bread (10) Barry is a 7 to me.