1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Schools in the UK?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by tarmogorf, May 31, 2008.

1. tarmogorf

2+ Year Member

Hey guys, I'm actually wondering about schools in the UK. I have next to no knowledge of the systems there and where I should be applying to. Honestly, it's difficult to figure out where I should start (search function not working?). So the question is...what schools in the UK accept internationals on regular occurrence? Stats would be nice, but unnecessary, I guess.

Thanks again here, and on the Ireland thread.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle Com***e Technician
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
  4. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Every undergrad UK med school accepts international grads, % is very similar in all. Some 4 year progs might not still but if not they will very soon.

(Generally all our med schools are undergrad, a few have postgrad progs and 1 or 2 are purely postgrad - Swansea, Warwick, and the Notts grad course is in Derby, so sort of a postgrad school)

5. tarmogorf

2+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply. That helps me get started.

6. ForeignMed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  7. Prolif

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are 32 schools in the UK, remember some of these are in England others are in Northern ireland scotland and wales, if you go to med school in scotland you will enter the scottish NHS. Its not that different but it may matter to you. If you want to practise in a certain part of england its usually easiest to go to medical school there.

www.study-medicine.co.uk and www.medschoolsonline.co.uk have lists, alterntively you could try the student room, they have a med school wiki.

8. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That is total nonsense. A lot of people do practice where they studied but because they like it there. Where you study makes basically no difference to job applications.

9. Prolif

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Applying for F1/F2 positions within your deanery is much easier than applying for positions outside of it. We've been told if we want to apply outside the deanery we'd best come in the 1st quartile else we're unlikely to be sucessful. Thats my take on it anway, perhaps i'm mistaken but everything I've read and been told has said that.

10. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And what exactly have you been reading? It's crap.

11. Rubisco1

does anyone know what a 2.2 means in the UK? These GEP schools say people with 2.2s dont have a chance of getting in.

12. jnuts

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really roughly, and remember every school is going to be different:

First= A+, >4.0, magna cum laude (one or two people per programme per year)
    2.1= A-/A, 3.5-4.0, cum laude
    2.2= B/A-, 3.0-3.5
    Pass= C/B, 2.0 3.0

You absolutely CANNOT convert percentages between the two systems (e.g a First at RCSI is about 75%; Profs will tell you flat out that the highest grade 'they' give is a 7/10)

That's my comparison based on my exposure to RCSI and a top American University. But I'd stress that every school is different. Contact them to find out how they convert grades.

#11 jnuts, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are very few schools, 2 or 3 that will technically accept a 2.2 if you do well enough on the GAMSAT. A high enough GAMSAT gets you an interview. In reality though most people applying to these school will have at least a 2.1, some will have 1sts, masters degrees and PhDs. If you have a 2.2 you will have a very hard time getting in and it gets harder every year. If a school says 2.1 or above, they mean it, do not apply there, it will be a total waste of an application.

If you are wondering what your grades from another country are equivalent to in our system the only people that can really tell you if you are good enough are the individual schools. Not all the grad progs accept internationals though.

14. Rubisco1

I pmed you bambi. thanks