Schools r not specific about LOR ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UF says we need 3 LORs
NOVA, Colorado says we need LOR but not how many or from whom

to be safe should i just get 3 LOR from science profs and 1 from dentist ?

since some schools require different types of LORs, how do we send the LORs to them ?

so when our prof gets the email about attaching LOR, after they send does it get sent to our application or does it go to which ever schools i applied.

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally never leave sending LORs at the hands of professors... They might procrastinate and your application will not be complete until all LORs are received.

The LORs are to be sent to AADSAS (along with the LOR-matching form that AADSAS will give you for each letter). The most efficient way is to have 4 LORs, 2 from science professors, 1 from non-science, and 1 from dentist be stored in interfolio.com.

if u dont mind, could u tell me more about interfolio.com

i thought we weren't supposed to be able to read the letters of rec.

for the interfolio, does the prof email me the letter and then i upload on interfolio ?

Members don't see this ad :)
if u dont mind, could u tell me more about interfolio.com

i thought we weren't supposed to be able to read the letters of rec.

for the interfolio, does the prof email me the letter and then i upload on interfolio ?

When you open an account with interfolio, you can request to "add a new confidential document". I thought its a brilliant service, you can do it all electronically. Go to interfolio, tell them you are requesting a confidential letter of rec from your professor, tell them your professors name and email and they'll email him a link to upload the letter.... When they recieve the letter, they'll send you an email confirming it

When you open an account with interfolio, you can request to "add a new confidential document". I thought its a brilliant service, you can do it all electronically. Go to interfolio, tell them you are requesting a confidential letter of rec from your professor, tell them your professors name and email and they'll email him a link to upload the letter.... When they recieve the letter, they'll send you an email confirming it

So how is that better than using the electronic service via AADSAS?

whats aadsas's electronic service?

Exactly what you said... You give AADSAS your professors email and then AADSAS will email your prof and your professor uploads the LOR directly to AADSAS.

Exactly what you said... You give AADSAS your professors email and then AADSAS will email your prof and your professor uploads the LOR directly to AADSAS.

ahh I see what you mean.
Yes AADSAS does provide a similar service, the PROBLEM however (at least I see it as a potential problem) is that you are putting the faith of your application in 4-LOR writers. Basically, the 4 guys doing your LOR are going to submit your letters, if one of them is late, or one of them goes out of town (remember, this is happening in June, some professors travel during summer), or one of them has a crisis you are unable to reach him... your application will remain "not-complete" until the final LOR is received.

With interfolio, you can collect your LORs and store them whenever, you are in total control of them being received and sent out. I collected most of my LORs months before June came around.

ahh I see what you mean.
Yes AADSAS does provide a similar service, the PROBLEM however (at least I see it as a potential problem) is that you are putting the faith of your application in 4-LOR writers. Basically, the 4 guys doing your LOR are going to submit your letters, if one of them is late, or one of them goes out of town (remember, this is happening in June, some professors travel during summer), or one of them has a crisis you are unable to reach him... your application will remain "not-complete" until the final LOR is received.

With interfolio, you can collect your LORs and store them whenever, you are in total control of them being received and sent out. I collected most of my LORs months before June came around.

i thought only the profs can upload to AADSAS. whats the point of us keeping the letters when we cant upload them onto AADSAS.

lets say my prof just wrote me a letter right now and he emailed it to me. I then upload it to interfolio. Then in June when i apply, if he being late in submitting the letter, can i then upload it myself ???

The advantage with interfolio is the applicant has the control over the LOE and that you don't have to wait for aadsas to open. Who would you prefer to have control over the LOE, you or your professors?

]i thought only the profs can upload to AADSAS. whats the point of us keeping the letters when we cant upload them onto AADSAS.[/U]

lets say my prof just wrote me a letter right now and he emailed it to me. I then upload it to interfolio. Then in June when i apply, if he being late in submitting the letter, can i then upload it myself ???

You can upload letters into AADSAS (if you have them in your email or interfolio), you just need to first obtain a LOR-matching form from AADSAS...AADSAS electronically gives you a matching-form for each LOR

If the professor email'd you a letter, it is no longer considered "confidential" cause you can basically open it and read it..... When you requiest to have a confidential letter saved into interfolio, you are electronically signing an agreement saying that you have not / will not read the content of that letter... and actually when interfolio saves a confidential-letter, you aren't allowed to click on it and open it... you can only send it to recipients (like AADSAS or job employer, etc etc)

I found AADSAS's service to be adequate. I go to a really big school as well, so my LOR people had to write other people's as well and they were still on time. Just let your letter writers know that they are able to send them in on June 1st so they have a heads up.

to be safe should i just get 3 LOR from science profs and 1 from dentist ?

since some schools require different types of LORs, how do we send the LORs to them ?

Scanned the thread but I don't think this Question has been answered. I'm wondering the same thing.

Scanned the thread but I don't think this Question has been answered. I'm wondering the same thing.

For the schools that don't specify, I would assume at least 2 sci prof LORs and one dentist LOR (and maybe one additional LOR) would be sufficient. However, some schools specifically require a liberal arts/non science LOR, while others specifically require 3 science LORs. See which schools have the most strict LOR requirements and fulfill those.

For the schools that don't specify, I would assume at least 2 sci prof LORs and one dentist LOR (and maybe one additional LOR) would be sufficient. However, some schools specifically require a liberal arts/non science LOR, while others specifically require 3 science LORs. See which schools have the most strict LOR requirements and fulfill those.

Thanks. I still don't see how I can apply to two schools with different requirements though. UCSF requires 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist but Columbia requires 3 science....How am I (or anyone else interested in both schools) supposed to apply to both UCSF and Columbia?

Thanks. I still don't see how I can apply to two schools with different requirements though. UCSF requires 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist but Columbia requires 3 science....How am I (or anyone else interested in both schools) supposed to apply to both UCSF and Columbia?

You can send in additional LORs separately. Use AADSAS to send out four LORs and send the additional one to whichever school(s) require it. For example, if Columbia is the only school you apply to that requires 3 science LORs, upload your other 4 LORs (2 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 dentist) to AADSAS but have your 3rd science LOR sent directly to Columbia (not through AADSAS). Or you can do it the other way around if UCSF is the only one that requires a non-science LOR. I believe most schools are fine if you send additional LORs as long as it's not some crazy amount, but you might want to double check if any schools are strictly against receiving additional materials/LORs.

You can send in additional LORs separately. Use AADSAS to send out four LORs and send the additional one to whichever school(s) require it. For example, if Columbia is the only school you apply to that requires 3 science LORs, upload your other 4 LORs (2 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 dentist) to AADSAS but have your 3rd science LOR sent directly to Columbia (not through AADSAS). Or you can do it the other way around if UCSF is the only one that requires a non-science LOR. I believe most schools are fine if you send additional LORs as long as it's not some crazy amount, but you might want to double check if any schools are strictly against receiving additional materials/LORs.

Awesome post. thank you.