Schools selection criteria...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krebse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how any particular schools that prioritize their selection criteria? I've heard it mentioned before that there are schools that specifically state they first look at how well a candidate's goals/experiences fit their mission statement, followed by other stuff like LOR, GPA, and MCAT scores but I'm not sure where this info comes from...I'm thinking from interviews, anecdotally from adcoms or alumni...anyhow, I'd love to hear any insight anyone has on the subject, naming the school and the selection criteria you know of (assuming, of course, that it deviates from #1 = GPA/MCAT) would be most helpful - thanks!

Liz

Members don't see this ad.

1. MCAT
2. GPA
3. Interview
4. ECs
5. LORs
6. PS and secondary

Of course that is just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adapt said:
1. MCAT
2. GPA
3. Interview
4. ECs
5. LORs
6. PS and secondary

Of course that is just my opinion.

hmmm.... I think I might put PS and secondary before Interview just because you have to impress them with those before you are giving an interview. But then again when the final decision is going to be made with a group of admission comitee members, maybe the interview might be a big factor to some of the admission comitee.

This would probably be different for each individual school and faculty that are judging you.

Thanks guys, but I'm looking more for specific schools that decide to award interviews based primarily on things other than the traditional MCAT, GPA, LOR, etc. - things like your fit to their mission statement, if you'll practice in the state/area, etc...this post from me will bump this up to the top one last time and if no one bites, I guess I'm just SOL :)

Liz

I believe Case Western looks highly upon the non traditional app

Southern Illinois Univ specifically states they are looking for doctors to practice in underserved areas of Illinois (i.e. you aint gettin in if you are not from Illinois)

These come quickly to mind. I'm sure there are more.

krebse said:
Thanks guys, but I'm looking more for specific schools that decide to award interviews based primarily on things other than the traditional MCAT, GPA, LOR, etc. - things like your fit to their mission statement, if you'll practice in the state/area, etc...this post from me will bump this up to the top one last time and if no one bites, I guess I'm just SOL :)

Liz

krebse said:

Liz

No one is going to bite because no MD school factors the soft criteria over MCAT/GPA. There is a reason that the admit rate goes from 30% for applicants with a 27 MCAT to 85% for applicants with a 33 MCAT, and that reason is that MCAT/GPA are the first and foremost concern since they indicate that you'll actually be likely to successfully complete medical school, followed by do your experiences and character indicate that you are likely to be a good physician after you successfully complete med school and will you fit in with their school.

To put in the simplest terms, there have been numerous studies that show that those students who are most at risk for failing the steps of the USMLE and experiencing general academic problems are those with lower MCATs and undergrad science gpas. Thus, what med school is going to care about whether you fit in with their mission statement if they can't confidently assume you'll actually be able to complete the four years of medical school?

I'm not sure if this is a consolation, but if you're a resident of a state that isn't California, you likely have a state school where the fact that you are a resident will lead to lowered MCAT/GPA requirements (relative to the national admitted student anyway). If you're a minnesota resident, you should probably more explicity ask about the average MCAT/GPA at your state schools (other than Mayo, of course).

krebse said:

Liz

I see that you are from MN, so UMN-Duluth's mission is to train primary care physicians for rural MN. So, I think getting an interview at Duluth is primarily about showing that you are interested in primary care and have connections to rural communities. I think if you grew-up in the Twin Cities metro area, it can be hard to get an interview because they don't believe you will actually want to practice in small town MN. Of course you also need to have a competitive GPA/MCAT, but I don't know their averages off the top of my head. I also don't believe you should apply to Duluth if you are not interested in rural, primary care since that would contradict with their mission.

WatchingWaiting said:
I'm not sure if this is a consolation, but if you're a resident of a state that isn't California, you likely have a state school where the fact that you are a resident will lead to lowered MCAT/GPA requirements (relative to the national admitted student anyway). If you're a minnesota resident, you should probably more explicity ask about the average MCAT/GPA at your state schools (other than Mayo, of course).

Wow, I'm mildly offended though I probably shouldn't be...nobody said I was asking because I'm less than competitive GPA/MCAT wise...regardless, I think you're ultimately correct although I've seen non-specific examples mentioned on various threads and I was curious if they were the assumptions of a few or legit claims...

The one school that I do know about is OHSU. After talking with the Director of Admissions over the last 3 years she states that the interview accounts for 75% of your admissions decision. Of course you have to get an interview first! :D