Schools that accept old 2014 MCAT in 2017-2018 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I took one of the last version of the old MCAT in 2014 and intend on applying to DO schools in the 2017-2018. Unsure if this would cause any issues...I emailed all of the schools to find out and compiled it into a spreadsheet. I thought this might be silly, but I'm actually finding some good information and maybe this could help someone in a similar boat? Most are saying yes, but some don't prefer it and others won't accept it.

I obviously haven't received a response from every school, but I'll update it as the information comes in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Good post, but I would say that if you've taken your MCAT before Sept 2014, you should plan to take the new MCAT. You don't want to limit your options just because you're lazy not to take the new one...

Good post, but I would say that if you've taken your MCAT before Sept 2014, you should plan to take the new MCAT. You don't want to limit your options just because you're lazy not to take the new one...

Yeah I actually plan on taking biochem throughout the next year so that if I don't get in, I can retake the MCAT in the new format.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a better resource than this to determine if DO schools will take pre-2015 MCAT?

Is there a better resource than this to determine if DO schools will take pre-2015 MCAT?

Keep in mind this isn't for this upcoming cycle, but the next one. I personally emailed all these schools and this was their response. I could not find the information listed anywhere so this information is directly from them. If there's a blank, it's because they didn't respond to me.

Hi everyone,

So I took one of the last version of the old MCAT in 2014 and intend on applying to DO schools in the 2017-2018. Unsure if this would cause any issues...I emailed all of the schools to find out and compiled it into a spreadsheet. I thought this might be silly, but I'm actually finding some good information and maybe this could help someone in a similar boat? Most are saying yes, but some don't prefer it and others won't accept it.

I obviously haven't received a response from every school, but I'll update it as the information comes in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, could you upload the spreadsheet so I can download it?

This is very useful. I had to find out the hard way for OSU-COM. I turned in my secondary with them, but fortunately I was able to talk them into a refund of my secondary.

Did you actually call Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine to verify they do no accept old MCAT scores? Looking at their website it seems they do: https://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/

"We will review results of the new MCAT2015 beginning with the first results released in summer 2015. We will not post averages or ranges at this time. We plan to continue accepting the former MCAT results through the 2017-18 admissions cycle."

I'm curious because this is a secondary I will be filling out this weekend.

This is very useful. I had to find out the hard way for OSU-COM. I turned in my secondary with them, but fortunately I was able to talk them into a refund of my secondary.

Did you actually call Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine to verify they do no accept old MCAT scores? Looking at their website it seems they do: https://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/

"We will review results of the new MCAT2015 beginning with the first results released in summer 2015. We will not post averages or ranges at this time. We plan to continue accepting the former MCAT results through the 2017-18 admissions cycle."

I'm curious because this is a secondary I will be filling out this weekend.

Everything in my document is copy-paste word-for-word from what they emailed me. If their website says otherwise, I'm not aware of it. I sent the same generic email to every school.

Hello, could you upload the spreadsheet so I can download it?

You should be able to copy and paste everything into Excel without any issues. If you run into them, let me know.

Wait, are you sure about all of this? Because I am submitting this cycle 2016-17 and called a number of schools asking if an MCAT taken in 2013 is acceptable and they said no. Be sure you specify that you are not interested in this current cycle but the next one that starts a year from now.

I asked CCOM specifically if I can use my August 2013 MCAT and they said no

Everything in my document is copy-paste word-for-word from what they emailed me. If their website says otherwise, I'm not aware of it. I sent the same generic email to every school.

You should be able to copy and paste everything into Excel without any issues. If you run into them, let me know.
I'm having trouble cutting and pasting it, could you please put up a file for download? Or even a drop box link?

Oh I see now, it should be marked as yes. Look at the comment you have for Des Moines, it indicates a 2014 MCAT is okay.

Oh I see now, it should be marked as yes. Look at the comment you have for Des Moines, it indicates a 2014 MCAT is okay.

That's not what this is for. This is for the 2017/2018 cycle. This is going to be the 2016/2017 cycle starting this summer. I'm applying next June. The person indicated that the MCAT would be ok for this cycle (2016 to start in 2017), but nothing about next cycle (2017 starting 2018). I'm not 100% that it's a no since they didn't understand what I was asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, are you sure about all of this? Because I am submitting this cycle 2016-17 and called a number of schools asking if an MCAT taken in 2013 is acceptable and they said no. Be sure you specify that you are not interested in this current cycle but the next one that starts a year from now.

I asked CCOM specifically if I can use my August 2013 MCAT and they said no

My email was extremely clear on what cycle I was applying for.

I can tell you for PCOM that the score has to be within three years of starting. So nothing older than August 2014 will be accepted by them.

I can tell you for PCOM that the score has to be within three years of starting. So nothing older than August 2014 will be accepted by them.

Agreed. PCOM doesn't even accept pre-August 2014 for the 2016-2017 cycle.

I believe & WCUCOM NSU-COM are from the start of application date, so 2014 scores would be out for that one.