Schools that aren't accredited yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brownlightning

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I was wondering about schools that were on the path to becoming accredited but not quite there yet. My GPA is horrible so I feel like this would be my best path. Are there any serious disadvantage that I may face in the future if I go down this route?

Also, if you know of any schools in this situations (like UNT), please list them. Thanks!
 
I know Univ. Wisconsin Milwaukee was under review to get accredited when I was applying last year...not sure where they stand on that though.

I don't know how it works, so I'm just guessing, but I would think a school that is in the process of getting accredited would want to have the strongest possible class possible, because it is my understanding that a lot of accreditation has to do with having successful graduates/pass rates of the licensure exam (schools with low pass rates have lost accreditation, etc.), and they want to build a strong, reputable program. Personally though, I wouldn't want to risk going through 3 years of school, 3 years of expensive tuition, and then finding out that I don't qualify for the license. A friend of a friend had that happen to him, and it's a horrible situation.

First off, how horrible is your GPA? Maybe take the year to retake some classes at a community college to get your GPA higher, while working to save up money/possibly get more experience. How are your other admission stats? GRE/volunteer hours/etc.
 
First off, how horrible is your GPA? Maybe take the year to retake some classes at a community college to get your GPA higher, while working to save up money/possibly get more experience. How are your other admission stats? GRE/volunteer hours/etc.

doesn't PTCAS take into account ALL grades? Not knowing what your grades are, I am in a similar situation with a rough GPA and just learned that info about PTCAS. Just thought I would throw that in there for planning purposes. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey thanks for the reply,

I started off as an engineer, so my GPA is horrible for any other major but decent for an engineering student. I just switched to PT this semester so my grades should start to significantly go up.

I just got a job this summer at a PT clinic and i work as a tech. It's a great job that I could really talk about all day to an interviewer.

I got plenty of e/c but definitely not enough volunteer hours yet.

I imagine getting a pretty good GRE score with the proper preparation because I got a great score on the SAT. Standardized tests are the one thing I'm actually good at.

The biggest issue is that from an engineering standpoint, I got it great. I have 2 internship under my belt and my gpa isn't too bad. Would those two engineering internships be useful in my application to PT school? Can i explain my poor GPA as a result of engineering classes?