Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

schools that do not predominantly accept state residents

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tryinghard, Sep 18, 2002.

1. tryinghard

tryinghard Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

i'm new to dentistry. can you guys tell me the names of the schools that accept a lot of non state residents..and also the names of schools that are private, and do not care about state residency?

also, what is the date that the majority of people get notified of acceptances?

can i still apply now...would it really matter, if everyone gets accepted on december 1st anyways??

also, do i still have enought time, to take the DAT now, and still apply this year?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Personally, I would not try to take the DAT and still apply this application cycle. You could, although you would be getting in rather late in the cycle. Of course, that depends on how much prep you need for the DAT. If you are ready to take it next week, then applying is a valid possibility. If you need a month to prepare, I wouldn't bother applying this year.

Not everybody gets accepted on Dec 1. Schools still interview many applicants after that date, and even those who are interviewed before that date do not always find out their status until Jan. or sometimes Feb. Dec. 1 is merely the first date that students CAN find out their status (accepted, denied, waitlisted, etc.).

The date which the majority of people get notified is a hard one to pin down, since people are constantly getting notified and schools have different procedures for admissions. Once again, Dec. 1 is the first date which any notification can be made, however.

There are many schools which fit the criteria which you've listed. Check out the guide to dental schools, and speak with an advisor, in order to determine which suit your needs best.

4. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Tryinghard,
    All of the privates fit your criteria. As for state schools: UMICH and UVirginia are good prospects for non-residents because they have adopted a market based tuition standard. UCONN takes a good number non-residents because of a relative low number of in state dental school applicants. I believe UMaryland is also a good bet because of its fairly large class size.

5. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If your stats are good, then go ahead and get the DAT in and apply this cycle. Dental schools are on rolling admissions so many students definitely get in after Dec. 1. Actually, students can get accepted right up and through the first day of classes, so you might as well apply and see if you can get in for fall 2003 rather than wait around just so you can apply in July 2003 for fall 2004. I know it would probably be very irritating to still be waiting for acceptances or getting off a waitlist when it is July 2003, but in the event that you do get in for fall 2003, that is one more year you are ahead. Dental school is a lot of work and once you are in it is not easy. If it is what you want, no sense in wasting an extra year. If your stats and experiences exceed the averages published by the school, chances are the school will want to interview you, even if your application came to them later in the cycle. A dental class of 60 doesn't anticipate filling al 60 seats on Dec. 1, they still hold some seats for those that interview later. It's possible, I definitely know students in my class who were accepted after Dec 1 and didn't necessarily apply in July like most people on this board would have you believe is the only worthwhile application date. I know students who had exceptional stats as applicants and applied at the last possible minute (took the DAT over Christmas break!) and still received an ACCEPTANCE - not even a waitlist offer (key words in this case - exceptional stats). Application costs are hard to swallow, but are trivial when you consider how much your dental education will cost you.

Good luck!

6. tryinghard

tryinghard Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What are the names of the private schools.. there don't seem like many.. just harvard, upenn, columbia.

is ny a private one?

7. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE
    7+ Year Member

go to predental.com
    it has the list of schools as well as other info that may be of help to you...
    There are quite a few private schools.. I am not sure what the number is...is it around 13-15???

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, Creighton, Marquette, Arizona, Tufts, Meharry, Howard, Nova, and Case are all private schools. There are probably a couple that I missed, but these are just off the top of my head.

9. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE
    7+ Year Member

UOP, USC, BU, NYU

10. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Plus Detroit Mercy and Loma Linda.

11. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU
    7+ Year Member

My data book on schools shows only 1 white student in a class of about 50 is being accepted to Meharry. I am a TN resident (Meharry is in Nashville) and it is right next to FISK, a predominately black school and close to TN State U, also a predominately black school. If you get in, congrats, I have only heard good things about the school. IMHO, if applying to this school you should consider your chances of acceptance.

Matt

12. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Plus Baylor and Temple.

13. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    That makes for a grand total of 19 so far!

14. tryinghard

tryinghard Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

isnt' baylor state school for dentistry only....not the med school

15. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Tryinghard,
    I think you are right about Baylor. It gives preference to Texas residents and residents of surrounding states without dental schools plus its tutition costs for Texas residents are very low.

16. tryinghard

tryinghard Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi guys...thanks for all the schools..

i bought the dental admsisions guide, and there are no average gpa, or dat scores..just a minimum.

what do you think the average stats of people getting into dental schools are.

also, is it ok, to apply to another healht profession school at the same time.

does pharmacy school count as healht profession?

do dental schools frown upon this act??

17. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Yes, pharm. is a health profession. Some schools won't look highly on your applying to other health schools, and other schools won't care. I think it serves your best interest to determine the field you are most interested in, and give it your all for getting an admission into that field. That isn't to say you can't apply to both (or many!) health professions -- but I feel, and many others here on SDN feel, that it is somewhat tacky.

18. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I, for one, see nothing unseemly about applying for entance to more than one type of health care professional school if one feels that their probability of gaining entrance to any one or more of the options are on the low end of the scale. Somtimes in life, it can be prudent to prepare to achieve an optimum outcome while still striving to obtain a maximum result.