Schools that don't automatically send secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I tried doing a search on SDN, but everytime I created a search, something happened :confused:

Does anyone know which medical schools don't automatically send out secondary applications (i.e. they review your entire application b/f sending out secondaries)?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be useful to consult the MSAR on this one. Also, once you decide to apply to a certain school, I'm sure they'll make this information available to you.

i think most/all californial schools screen before they send out a secondary. that includes uc's and the private schools. good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, all UCs, Stanford, U Pitt, and Vanderbilt (you will only be asked to do a secondary if you are offered an interview as per this year) screen before they send out invites to fill out their secondaries. :)

University of Washington, Mayo and OHSU.

Kentucky (non-res must have 3.75 and 10's)

I think a better question would be: Which schools do automatically send out applications?

I know application time seems like it's fundraising time for med schools. Well, in response to your question, Eastern Virginia is another school that I know that doesn't automatically send one out.

UNC and ECU screens the applicants they send secondaries too. I know at UNC they only send secondaries to students they want to interview. So in the end they send out at the most 500 secondaries, and mostly to NC residents

Northwestern, Michigan (screens for secondaries and LORs), Maryland (non-residents) in addition the schools mentioned

Most schools don't screen.
I think Duke also screens I think they have a cut off of 3.2 GPA and I can't remember what the MCAT cut off is.
I think Indiana screens as well.

SIU if your from that part of the country

Bless the schools who are gracious enough to not send a secondary if we have no chance of getting in rather than taking our secondary fees anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Tennessee
Wayne State University
Eastern Virginia
University of Michigan
Michigan State University (although they make you pay a fee to cover the cost of them scanning your primary application to determine whether it warrants them sending you a secondary application)

Here's a list of schools that screen that have been mentioned in this thread so far:

Duke
EVMS
ECU
Indiana
Kentucky
Northwestern
SIU
Stanford
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
UNC
UPitt
University of Tennessee
Vandy
VCU
Wake Forest
Wayne State

There used to be a sticky called "All of MOST you need to know" about med school or something like that. It gave a link to a list of secondaries and whether they screen or not.

Here's a list of schools that screen that have been mentioned in this thread so far:

Duke
EVMS
ECU
Indiana
Kentucky
Northwestern
SIU
Stanford
UCs
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
UNC
UPitt
University of Tennessee
Vandy
VCU
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Here it is taken from 2003 info (http://mysite.verizon.net/res21aye/sdn/)

Alabama*
Alabama, South*
California, UC Davis* essay ?s
California, UC Irvine* pdf
California, UC Los Angeles / Drew*
California, UC Los Angeles* essay ?s
California, UC San Diego* pdf doc
California, UC San Francisco* pdf doc
East Carolina-Brody (ECU) *
Georgia, Medical College of*
Hawaii-Burns*
Illinois, Southern*
Illinois, University of (UIC) *
Indiana*
Iowa*
Kansas**
Kentucky*
Louisville*
Loyola-Stritch*
Maryland*
Mercer*
Miami*
Minnesota-Duluth*
Minnesota-Minneapolis*
Missouri-Columbia*
Nevada*
New Mexico*
North Carolina*
Northwestern*
Ohio State*
Ohio, Medical College of*
Ohio, Northeastern (NEOUCOM)*
Oregon*
Pittsburgh*
South Carolina, University of*
South Dakota*
Stanford*
Tennessee State, East- J H Quillen*
Tennessee, University of*
Utah*
Virginia, Eastern (EVMS) *
Virginia, Commonwealth University*
Vanderbilt, TN*
Wake Forest*
Washington, University of*
Wayne State*
Wisconsin, University of*
* Screen before sending secondary
** Screen non-residents

indo said:
Bless the schools who are gracious enough to not send a secondary if we have no chance of getting in rather than taking our secondary fees anyway.

AMEN!!

too bad theres no union for med school applicants

Reactions: 1 user