Schools that don't require pre-reqs????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
My friend does not have 1st year Bio nor Organic Chem. She does have G. Chem and Physics, and English and degree in Psychology (minor in English). Are there any carib schools (or any other) that don't require these specific pre-reqs. She really wants to attend MEdical school a.s.a.p.

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Although I wouldn't recommend that an American go... there are quite a few 5-6 year combined pre-med/med programs in Europe (e.g. Poland, Hungary) and in India. The majority of them are English language based. Good luck to her.

She might also want to check out some of the schools in the U.K. and Ireland. Schools in the U.K. don't admit a whole lot of overseas students, but they do admit some; schools in Ireland do recruit many more overseas students from what I understand. She might (although she should DEFINITELY contact schools individually to check) have sufficient coursework to be admitted to a regular U.K. program, as I've heard that they don't all require biology. Even if she doesn't, some U.K. schools have something called a premed year where you can get all the requirements for med school by going an extra year at their schools before starting your official med school coursework. Many Irish schools have the same kind of set-up. To check out the different U.K. med schools, she should go to www.bma.org.uk. To check out those in Ireland, she should go to www.atlanticbridge.com.

Keep in mind though that if she has to go through the premed year plus med school in either place, she'll be in med school for a full six years.

She should definitely check it out though. :) The schools in the U.K. and Ireland are well-respected and offer great educations. If she has any more questions, let me know. I've been looking into these schools as options for myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot resist the temptation to be a mother hen, but frankly, trying to do medical school without the core basic foundation of knowledge seems to be poor planning. Even if she did the full 6 year european model for medical school, taking the pre-med reqs, she will be behind the 8-ball IMHO.

I need to jum in here.

If she decides to go to a 6 year school, you have to remember she'll "be up against" people straight out of something that's only a year more than US high school. I think she'd be in good shape for that with the classes she already took. On the negative side, she will lose at least 2 years.

I was a little lost on the 8 ball thing. I'd say she'd be sitting in the back of a 4-man group with 2 laps to go and she's looking good for the kick.

hi,

McMaster in Canada has no prereq's required whatsoever, however, as an international student, it will be really competitive as they only have 8 spots.

Btw, I dont know if this has been disccussed to death, but McMaster did a study a while back after they implemented the "no prereq's" policy..

They found no significant difference in med school performance between those who had the core sciences courses and those who did not. Also no difference between passing rates for the licensing exam.

Furthermore, when it came time to residency, there was no difference in choosing a specialty between science/non-science background.

Lastly, the study found that residency directors could NOT see a difference in students who had/did not had a science backrground.

Anyway, I thought that would be interesting to point out because its so easy, though false, to reason that you need the basic sciences to start med...as McMaster say: " As we learn in scientific research, conclusions derived from logical reasoning are not the truth. It is only after experimentation and statistical analyses that we can be confident of where the truth lies. "

Cheers