Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Schools that focus more on MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by kpoop, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kpoop

kpoop

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi all! :)

I know med school applications are looked at as a "whole package," but I'm very curious to know which (if any) California med schools consider MCAT scores equally or more so than GPA in regards to the academic portion of the application.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    CA schools you need to have a good gpa and mcat, they have plenty of applicants that have both already so they don't need a 38 with a 3.2gpa

4. sharkbyte

sharkbyte Take me to the top 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    USC (Keck) might be one of those looking at the statistics here:

http://keck.usc.edu/en/About/Admini...e_of_MD_Admissions/Class_of_2016_Profile.aspx

For the class of 2016 the average admitted MCAT was 34 (which is quite high for an average) while the average GPA is about 3.64. Again, the averages don't tell the entire story but I go to USC and I do know that their admissions dept is big on high MCAT scores.

5. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Keck definitely has the "funkiest" admissions attitude. For example one of their rotating questions on the secondaries is "what was the most fun thing you did last year" (which drove one of OCD/Neurotic, never-stopped working students nuts as she hadnt done ANYTHING but school and research).

BTW, there was a yearly survey of all medical schools for several years that I think ended in 2010. About 2/3 of the medical schools would reply and every year it would find that

*75% of schools consider GPA the first or second factor in admissions
    *75% of schools consider MCAT the first or second factor in admissions

About the ads