Schools That Look Only At Verbal/Quant GRE Sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomeranian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just took the GRE last month and obtained relatively competitive verbal (162/89 percentile) and quant (161/80 percentile) scores. However, I bombed the analytical section (3.5). I know some schools only look at the verbal and quant sections, and I was wondering if anyone knows which schools only look at those scores. I want to avoid having to retake the GRE if possible since I have other portions of my app to work on... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know Michigan and Florida don't count the analytical section.

The ones I know that DO count the analytical: Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa. I don't think they weigh it that much though.

Go to each school's website and check their application review process and/or successful applicant statistics. Either of those will show if they took that particular section into account. However, your scores are great so if everything else is good too I don't think a 3.5 on the analytical section will hold you back much even at the schools that do count it.

Penn only looks at verbal and quantitative scores as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Thanks! So do you know if (generally) the schools that do weigh the analytical portion weigh it less than the verbal/quant sections?

^ Thanks! So do you know if (generally) the schools that do weigh the analytical portion weigh it less than the verbal/quant sections?
I know Illinois weighs them equally because they just average your percentiles together to get one percentile. I'm not sure about the others but I'm sure most of them don't look at it too much. You'd have to do some research or call the ones that do look at it. Again, you shouldn't let that worry you too much. Pick the schools you want to go to. Your other two scores are really great and will more than compensate for the one low one (which is not even THAT low).

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even finish the essay on my gre, and it all turned out okay! Plus your other scores are fantastic, so I'm sure it will average out :)

Davis only cares about the quantitative section.

Reactions: 1 user