Schools that require Psychology GRE Subject Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeprozac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering, is there a list or database of Clinical Psychology programs that require the Subject Test?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I was wondering, is there a list or database of Clinical Psychology programs that require the Subject Test?

It’s basically the Top 20 schools listed on US News’ (arbitrary) Top Clinical Psychology Programs List – just Google it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Vast majority of schools don’t require it. Why are you asking? I also don’t see why that would be helpful. You can always take it and send the scores to schools along with your general gre scores if you’re wanting to take because you think you would do quite well (I took it for that reason because my math scores were mediocre and I knew they wouldn’t improve much) even if the schools don’t require it.

I'm not sure why this would be helpful. It shouldn't be the main attraction to a program
There was someone on one of the psychology subreddits a week or two ago asking for a list of programs that don't require the GRE at all because their old scores expired after five years and they didn't want to take the test again.

Vast majority of schools don’t require it. Why are you asking? I also don’t see why that would be helpful. You can always take it and send the scores to schools along with your general gre scores if you’re wanting to take because you think you would do quite well (I took it for that reason because my math scores were mediocre and I knew they wouldn’t improve much) even if the schools don’t require it.
My subject test score is not within the 85th percentile and apparently I was advised not to send it to schools that don't require it.

I'm not sure why this would be helpful. It shouldn't be the main attraction to a program
It's not the main attraction, I was trying to be more efficient with the programs I'm applying to. Instead of looking up every single program, I could just go off the list of those that require the subject test and see which ones I'm applying to are on the list.

It's not the main attraction, I was trying to be more efficient with the programs I'm applying to. Instead of looking up every single program, I could just go off the list of those that require the subject test and see which ones I'm applying to are on the list.
I would recommend you find the programs with better fit and meet the criteria for those schools / eliminate them if you dont want to take the subject exam after that point. There isn't a list for a reason and if you have a list of programs already based on research fit, its better to know the criteria for them specifically.

Good luck!

I feel like it would be easier to just narrow your schools based on fit and then look at the requirements and outcome data regarding GREs (subject and otherwise). When was applying, I had an Excel spreadsheet where I had the schools, PIs of interest, application costs, application requirements, and so on to better organize the information. The Psych Subject GRE is not that important in the grand scheme of things. Most schools don't require it, and I don't believe the ones that do really take such great stock in it compared to other application materials.

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask why?
Because your applications need to be based on your fit with the POI and overall program, not whether the program requires the psych GRE or not. It's difficult enough to get into good, funded doctoral programs when you have excellent matches and fit with the faculty, grad students, and program, but you're likely to worsen your chances if your first filter for choosing programs is based on the psych GRE requirement. I.e., Instead of saying that you've applied to work with someone because you absolutely love their work and can't see yourself working with and learning from anyone else, you're saying that they're simply the best match amongst those who don't require the psych GRE. The latter really isn't all that compelling, both for your chances of admission and how you'll feel about a program that you get into. How passionate can you be about a consolation prize? Grad School is difficult enough when actually have the motivation and interest in what you're doing.

Very few programs require the subject test. There may be a plurality that strongly recommend it.

I did poorly (75th percentile) on the Psych subject test because I wasn't very motivated to study for it. Ironically, I got an interview at the one program I applied to that required it. My general GRE scores were mint though.

Instead of looking up every single program, I could just go off the list of those that require the subject test and see which ones I'm applying to are on the list.

Prior to applying to programs, I would suggest thoroughly researching every one of them, and learning about their mission, training, research, requirements, etc.