Schools that weigh DAT more than GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeffM

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen a couple older posts about this but I wanted to get a more recent perspective. I was wondering if there were any schools in particular that weighed the DAT more heavily than GPA when considering an applicant for acceptance. I just took the DAT and scored a 23 AA and 25 PAT, but my GPA is relatively low (overall: 3.49, science: ~3.1-3.2) and since I just took it I am applying late. I am just looking for schools that weigh the DAT more and would give me a better chance at acceptance due to my stats. Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think @Bear_Down knows the answer to this if I'm wrong but I REALLY wanna say UoP, UCSF, and UPenn are that way. Their oGPA seem to be 3.4-3.6 but their DAT is around 20-24AA. Do you have the ADEA handbook? It has all the numbers and stats and distributions....

Members don't see this ad :)
i would venture to say most schools do. your gpa is dependent on a variety of factors. the dat is a standardized test that puts everyone on an even playing field.

Reactions: 1 users
Check it..

Attachments

• 2014 Ranking of DS Based on GPA, DAT, Other SDN 5-20-15 (1) (1).xls
    57.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 2015 SDN 2013 Acceptance statistics distribution 4-30-15-2 (1).xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 1 users
In my personal opinion, UNLV is the #1 school in terms of valuing the DAT over GPA or the best school to apply to (from a % chance acceptance perspective) if you were hoping for a high DAT to carry a low GPA.

Their formula for calculating which students make the cut for interviews is ((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75

They add that score to an interview score (half faculty/half current student 25 points total) in order to determine a ranking of acceptance candidates (of course there are exceptions where some students are bumped up due to non numerical factors). But as you can see from the part 1 formula, two variables (from a x*y*z*=part 1 standpoint) are based on the DAT while only one is based on GPA.

From word of mouth and general consensus, if an applicant has a potential to receive at least a final score of 50 (or near 50), they are usually invited to interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my personal opinion, UNLV is the #1 school in terms of valuing the DAT over GPA or the best school to apply to (from a % chance acceptance perspective) if you were hoping for a high DAT to carry a low GPA. Their formula for calculating which students make the cut for interviews is ((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75
They add that score to an interview score (half faculty/half current student 25 points total) in order to determine a ranking of acceptance candidates (of course there are exceptions where some students are bumped up due to non numerical factors). But as you can see from the part 1 formula, two variables (from a x*y*z*=part 1 standpoint) are based on the DAT while only one is based on GPA.
From word of mouth and general consensus, if an applicant has a potential to receive at least a final score of 50 (or near 50), they are usually invited to interview.
As written, the formula suggests that overall and science gpa are on par basis and there is no added value from the DAT; gen chem and pat have zero value.

As written, the formula suggests that overall and science gpa are on par basis and there is no added value from the DAT; gen chem and pat have zero value.

The formula is basically x*y*z*75 in which the closer to 1 ea. variable is, the better the overall score. Someone with 3.0s and 24s across the board will beat another with 4.0s and 20s. I feel that this is a rather significant upset-enough so to claim that the DAT carries a significantly greater weight.

Last edited:
The formula is basically x*y*z*75 in which the closer to 1 ea. variable is, the better the overall score. Someone with 3.0s and 24s across the board will beat another with 4.0s and 20s. I feel that this is a rather significant upset-enough so to claim that the DAT carries a significantly greater weight.
3 (24/30) x 75 =180
4 (20/30) x 75 =200
A school that places more value on one metric over the other would use a factor greater than 1. An example is the SA formula, where science gpa plays a dominant role.
San Antonio Formula [science GPA x DAT AA Score/30 x 4 +overall GPA] x 50 = Overall Score

3 (24/30) x 75 =180
4 (20/30) x 75 =200
A school that places more value on one metric over the other would use a factor greater than 1. An example is the SA formula, where science gpa plays a dominant role.
San Antonio Formula [science GPA x DAT AA Score/30 x 4 +overall GPA] x 50 = Overall Score

I get where you're coming from mathematically, but I'd still disagree that placing more value over one metric is exclusive for said system. That and I'm not sure what the 3 (24/30)x75=180 and 4(20/30)x75 is referring to...That seems to be the formula: (sci gpa+ogpa)/2x(DAT/30)x75? That's not derivative of UNLV's formula. The gpa needs to be divided by the total and the DAT contribution (the (X/30)) needs to be squared (assuming an equal score spread). The final total of either of those scenarios should only have a max value of 75 (as in a perfect scenario, 4.0GPA and 30DAT, the student's formula would look like 1*1*1*75=75)

For the example I specified:

Formula: (cum gpa+sci gpa)/8 * RC/30 * (OCHEM+QR+BIO)/90 = (a total up to 75)

3.0 Student with 24s: (3+3)/8 * (24/30) * (72/90) * 75=36

4.0 Student with 20s: (4+4)/8 * (20/30) * (60/90) * 75=33.33

UNLV makes two of the three variables in a x*y*z perspective reliant on performance on certain sections of the DAT. Doing poorly(overall) on the DAT will affect an applicant far more severely than having a poor GPA. And likewise, doing exceptionally on the DAT(overall&especially reading comprehension) will benefit an applicant more than having an exceptional GPA. The fact that two out of three of these variables (which are multiplied and have a max value of 1) are thus reliant on portions of the DAT already demonstrates how the DAT is valued more than GPA in my honest opinion. Now I don't really have a wish to hijack this thread to go on a mathematical tangent, so I'd just like to leave it as I'd disagree mathematically with Doc Tootache, but I still respect his analysis on the matter. Take my explanation/insight as you will OP.

Back to OP:
OP your pre-interview score would be close to: (3.49+3.15)/8 * (20/30) * (29+22+20)/90 * 75=32.7
As you have the potential to score 57.7 (competitive is 50-55+), it is likely you would be invited to interview if you applied. However, from my personal experience, it is extremely important to have a pre-Dec or pre-Jan interview with UNLV, so apply soon if you plan to.

Last edited: