Schools that won't take old classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeshulK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Do many schools care if you have taken your classes several years ago, say something over five years? I have heard that some schools will want you to have taken particular courses such as ochem in the past five years, and may want you to take them in your first year as a refresher. Are there schools that will not accept any older classes period? If so, is this based on an academic forgiveness program, or just flat out no? If schools do this it might be difficult to tread water for some non-trad applicants...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Do many schools care if you have taken your classes several years ago, say something over five years? I have heard that some schools will want you to have taken particular courses such as ochem in the past five years, and may want you to take them in your first year as a refresher. Are there schools that will not accept any older classes period? If so, is this based on an academic forgiveness program, or just flat out no? If schools do this it might be difficult to tread water for some non-trad applicants...

thanks!

I've only heard here on SDN that there are schools that require the pre-reqs to be completed within a certain time frame. For me, I never once was questioned about how old my pre-reqs were in any interview and was accepted to each school I applied to. I applied in 2005. My oldest pre-req courses were taken in 1991. Yes, they were 14 years old. They still accepted them without question.

Here is my suggestion. Determine which schools you want to apply to. Call up each school individually. Ask them what their policy is regarding time frame for taking classes. That way you get the word straight from the horses mouth. That last thing I would want for you is to apply to a school and find out later that if you had only taken 1 class over that you'd have been considered. Don't risk it. Call them up.

Just kill the DAT and they won't ask any questions.

Depends on the school. The University of Tennessee's website states that all prerequisites must be no more than 5 years old including 6 hours of English Composition. My Comp is about 15 years old, and the Dean of Admissions said they would bend the rules if it was taken 6 or 7 years earlier, but they would like you to retake anything older than that. Definitely call each school.

Last edited: