Schools with aquaculture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its one of the smaller niches of veterinary medicine, but does anyone know which schools offer courses in aquaculture? I know UPEI does and cornell has their Aquavet program for those who have already graduated(but not sure what's available to those in vet school there).

It doesn't quite fit the normal mold of food animal medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I know Auburn has an aquatic center, but not sure what classes they offer. One of my friends applied there specifically because they had it.

Penn also has the AquaVet program. I wasn't under the impression that it was for graduates, I thought it was a summer type thing, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for sure that Auburn does offer some aquatic classes, as they had a recent grad (that teaches the class(es)) do the lectures at SAVMA this year. Surely someone from Auburn can enlighten it further though...

Oregon State has an elective/preceptorship in ornamental fish medicine. They also have the Hatfield Marine Science Center.

One of my FAVORITE fish doctors ever just took a faculty seat at Davis's CVM. So I'm sure they have something worth moving to left coast for:)

That and Davis put a lot of time into my research project (fish iridoviruses) and a few of the faculty members are co-authors on my submission.

For all the schools I visited they usually told me if they had one or not. I know for sure that UPEI has one (but u knew that) as well as Iowa State.

And no its not because I love the fishies - it's because my undergrad research was spent working with cousins of salmon and trout :)

Just FYI, for anyone who has VIN access:

I believe starting on May 20 is an online course in fish medicine.

I toyed with the idea of enrolling, then remembered that somewhere, far away right now, is a part of my brain that is screaming to be allowed to play Neverwinter Nights and scrapbook and garden.

But just in case anyone was interested... just letting ya'll know!

:hardy:

Five finals to go and then it's SUMMER TIME!!!

i think ncsu does