Jul 29, 2015
It's been a few years since there has been a thread about the schools with the best equine programs, so I wanted some fresh perspectives and updated answers. Just looking for the best US vet schools with great equine programs. Commute from city/vet school to equine center/boarding facility should preferably be an hour or less. The school should have a strong equine program, ideally with a relitavely strong large animal program as well. In-state for UW-Madison.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
Ponies :love:

And it depends on what you want I think. Do you prefer surgery or medicine? Do you want a program with field service? Does case load matter to you or focusing on a few patients. I don't think faculty/teaching wise you can't go wrong at any of the more established programs, but if you are going for "big" names, I would look at Penn, FL, Ohio, VA-MD.

My vet school experience was in the UK, but i've now worked for two US schools, and have dealt with quite a few of them with my own horses etc. If you have questions about Mizzou or KSU specifically, feel free to send them my way.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
Go to UW-Madison, do externships.
But yeah...the in-state thing does help. You'll have to do an internship somewhere no matter what, and externships are awesome experiences, both private practice and academic.

equinerider26

MU CVM c/o 2016!
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2012
Status
Veterinary Student

And it depends on what you want I think. Do you prefer surgery or medicine? Do you want a program with field service? Does case load matter to you or focusing on a few patients. I don't think faculty/teaching wise you can't go wrong at any of the more established programs, but if you are going for "big" names, I would look at Penn, FL, Ohio, VA-MD.

My vet school experience was in the UK, but i've now worked for two US schools, and have dealt with quite a few of them with my own horses etc. If you have questions about Mizzou or KSU specifically, feel free to send them my way.
And I have finally put together who you are! (I've been on the slow train recently.)

Reactions: Kpowell14

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
animaltracks.wordpress.com
Status
Veterinarian

I'm surprised with their relatively new-ish equine facility and the density of horse population here that UMN doesn't make that list. (But I know zilch about equine medicine..... purely just surprised.) I know the student equine club is one of the top 5 clubs in the school in terms of members and activities.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
I'm surprised with their relatively new-ish equine facility and the density of horse population here that UMN doesn't make that list. (But I know zilch about equine medicine..... purely just surprised.) I know the student equine club is one of the top 5 clubs in the school in terms of members and activities.
You have to remember where I come from...I'm sure someone from the West Coast would have a very different list. On the East Coast though, those schools probably have the highest case load. Cornell might be thrown in there too.

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
animaltracks.wordpress.com
Status
Veterinarian
You have to remember where I come from...I'm sure someone from the West Coast would have a very different list. On the East Coast though, those schools probably have the highest case load. Cornell might be thrown in there too.
I can't keep track of where you ARE, much less where you COME FROM. Geez. Old brain, remember?

Reactions: Coquette22

equinerider26

MU CVM c/o 2016!
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2012
Status
Veterinary Student
Uh oh. Should I be worried? :ninja:
No, no. I just finally realized who you were after a year of seeing your posts on the Mizzou threads. (My most recent Instagram post is a screenshot of finishing a VetPrep category, for reference.)

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
No, no. I just finally realized who you were after a year of seeing your posts on the Mizzou threads. (My most recent Instagram post is a screenshot of finishing a VetPrep category, for reference.)
Haha I thought it might be you. Hope you are doing well! I will probably be back in CoMo next weekend for a short visit (really I just want to go to the State Fair....)

I always thought it was fairly obvious who I was based on my vet school. ;)

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Lots of horse people here at UMN. Also the equine center is I want to say a 10 minute walk from the lecture hall. But I am not a horse person so I don't really know that much, other than how big SCAAEP seems to be here and the fact that there's practically horse people posses running around :)

Doktor Timo

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Status
Veterinarian
Tennessee has a phenomenal new equine performance/rehab facility, probably one of the best in the country right now. Nevertheless, I pretty much always recommend people to go in state regardless.

Jan 29, 2015
Michigan
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I am definitely an advocate for UC Davis. They get lots of equine cases year round since the weather is never really a limiting factor in Northern California. They have many departmental specialties and great faculty. (Not that I am biased :p I used to work in the LA clinic)

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
I am definitely an advocate for UC Davis. They get lots of equine cases year round since the weather is never really a limiting factor in Northern California. They have many departmental specialties and great faculty. (Not that I am biased :p I used to work in the LA clinic)
Haha...good luck getting in if you are OOS at UCD though. When I was applying to vet school, i'm pretty sure they only had 1 spot, maybe times have changed.