Schools With The Best Equine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanChaser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since there has been a thread about the schools with the best equine programs, so I wanted some fresh perspectives and updated answers. Just looking for the best US vet schools with great equine programs. Commute from city/vet school to equine center/boarding facility should preferably be an hour or less. The school should have a strong equine program, ideally with a relitavely strong large animal program as well. In-state for UW-Madison.

Members don't see this ad.

Ponies :love:

And it depends on what you want I think. Do you prefer surgery or medicine? Do you want a program with field service? Does case load matter to you or focusing on a few patients. I don't think faculty/teaching wise you can't go wrong at any of the more established programs, but if you are going for "big" names, I would look at Penn, FL, Ohio, VA-MD.

My vet school experience was in the UK, but i've now worked for two US schools, and have dealt with quite a few of them with my own horses etc. If you have questions about Mizzou or KSU specifically, feel free to send them my way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UW-Madison, do externships.

But yeah...the in-state thing does help. You'll have to do an internship somewhere no matter what, and externships are awesome experiences, both private practice and academic.

And it depends on what you want I think. Do you prefer surgery or medicine? Do you want a program with field service? Does case load matter to you or focusing on a few patients. I don't think faculty/teaching wise you can't go wrong at any of the more established programs, but if you are going for "big" names, I would look at Penn, FL, Ohio, VA-MD.

My vet school experience was in the UK, but i've now worked for two US schools, and have dealt with quite a few of them with my own horses etc. If you have questions about Mizzou or KSU specifically, feel free to send them my way.
And I have finally put together who you are! (I've been on the slow train recently.)

Reactions: 1 user

I'm surprised with their relatively new-ish equine facility and the density of horse population here that UMN doesn't make that list. (But I know zilch about equine medicine..... purely just surprised.) I know the student equine club is one of the top 5 clubs in the school in terms of members and activities.

I'm surprised with their relatively new-ish equine facility and the density of horse population here that UMN doesn't make that list. (But I know zilch about equine medicine..... purely just surprised.) I know the student equine club is one of the top 5 clubs in the school in terms of members and activities.

You have to remember where I come from...I'm sure someone from the West Coast would have a very different list. On the East Coast though, those schools probably have the highest case load. Cornell might be thrown in there too.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to remember where I come from...I'm sure someone from the West Coast would have a very different list. On the East Coast though, those schools probably have the highest case load. Cornell might be thrown in there too.

I can't keep track of where you ARE, much less where you COME FROM. Geez. Old brain, remember?

Uh oh. Should I be worried? :ninja:
No, no. I just finally realized who you were after a year of seeing your posts on the Mizzou threads. (My most recent Instagram post is a screenshot of finishing a VetPrep category, for reference.)

No, no. I just finally realized who you were after a year of seeing your posts on the Mizzou threads. (My most recent Instagram post is a screenshot of finishing a VetPrep category, for reference.)

Haha I thought it might be you. Hope you are doing well! I will probably be back in CoMo next weekend for a short visit (really I just want to go to the State Fair....)

I always thought it was fairly obvious who I was based on my vet school. ;)

Lots of horse people here at UMN. Also the equine center is I want to say a 10 minute walk from the lecture hall. But I am not a horse person so I don't really know that much, other than how big SCAAEP seems to be here and the fact that there's practically horse people posses running around :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tennessee has a phenomenal new equine performance/rehab facility, probably one of the best in the country right now. Nevertheless, I pretty much always recommend people to go in state regardless.

Are Cornell and UC-Davis no longer "up there"?

Sure, they are big names too.

There aren't that many vet schools. If you want to do equine, go to the school you want (probably in state) and make the most of your externships.

I am definitely an advocate for UC Davis. They get lots of equine cases year round since the weather is never really a limiting factor in Northern California. They have many departmental specialties and great faculty. (Not that I am biased :p I used to work in the LA clinic)

I am definitely an advocate for UC Davis. They get lots of equine cases year round since the weather is never really a limiting factor in Northern California. They have many departmental specialties and great faculty. (Not that I am biased :p I used to work in the LA clinic)

Haha...good luck getting in if you are OOS at UCD though. When I was applying to vet school, i'm pretty sure they only had 1 spot, maybe times have changed.