Schwartz's Manual of Surgery forced upon me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear co-residents,
Despite my whining and crying that I've already highlighted Sabiston, which took a long f-ing time, and necessitated me carrying that stupid, heavy-@ss book around all year, my program is switching to Schwartz for our readings next year. I personally don't agree with the move, especially since most of us did really well on the junior ABSITE......

For those people who have experience with both textbooks, does Schwartz have something unique to offer? Do you think I'll benefit more from reading Schwartz than from re-reading Sabiston? I don't think I'll have time to do both.

Please let me know what you think. As minor as it sounds, I feel very emotionally invested in my current textbook now that it carries three different colors of highlighter, and I hate to waste $150 of educational money on a textbook that says the same thing in minorly different way.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear co-residents,
Despite my whining and crying that I've already highlighted Sabiston, which took a long f-ing time, and necessitated me carrying that stupid, heavy-@ss book around all year, my program is switching to Schwartz for our readings next year. I personally don't agree with the move, especially since most of us did really well on the junior ABSITE......

For those people who have experience with both textbooks, does Schwartz have something unique to offer? Do you think I'll benefit more from reading Schwartz than from re-reading Sabiston? I don't think I'll have time to do both.

Please let me know what you think. As minor as it sounds, I feel very emotionally invested in my current textbook now that it carries three different colors of highlighter, and I hate to waste $150 of educational money on a textbook that says the same thing in minorly different way.

Thanks.

My program used Sabiston's but plenty of people read Schwartz (and Greenfield). It's easier to read the book that your program uses but you can skim the library copy and keep reading any one of the "big three". All of these books are comparable as basic texts.

If my program changed books tomorrow, I would probably not purchase another text. If they gave me the new text (how I acquired Sabiston's in the first place), I would not turn it down but I would not rush out to purchase another text if the one that I have is adequate. Schwartz, Greenfield and Sabiston are all comparable and adequate for surgical text reading.

I agree with njbmd....there is no need to run out and buy your program's choice of book when you can easily borrow it from the library, another resident, etc. If you have formed a relationship (and it sounds like you have a close one with Sabiston ;) ) with a book, you will do well regardless of what text your program uses. You can read the relevant chapters in Sabiston for the educational sessions and skim the same in Schwartz.

I have Schwartz which I was given and frankly, found it no different than any of the other books. It is very dusty at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your input, and it sounds like the books are equivalent, and there isn't a strong benefit from reading each separately. I feel the same way, but my voting co-interns don't share my lack of desire to start from scratch.

I appreciate your input, and it sounds like the books are equivalent, and there isn't a strong benefit from reading each separately. I feel the same way, but my voting co-interns don't share my lack of desire to start from scratch.

In the end, you need to pass your boards and that will require reading at least one reputable textbook. Most programs have an academic cycle based on getting through a "chosen" textbook cover to cover at least twice before graduation (i.e. "two year cycle"). Some programs do actually have a alternating cycle and flip flop back and forth between TWO textbooks. No textbook is perfect. If you have gotten through Sabiston, it will not hurt you to get through Schwartz. You might find yourself reading faster through the new textbook because your base fund of knowledge is good as a result of Sabiston. Then go back through Sabiston....

It doesn't matter. If you are getting through a textbook, your ABSITE is reflecting good knowledge retention, and you learn enough to pass you boards, you are succeeding in residency. You need to do what works for your learning style and gives you the greatest fund of knowledge... it will be good for your boards and good for your future patients.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I feel very emotionally invested in my current textbook ....I hate to waste $150 of educational money on a textbook...

Just one final set of points:
1. Don't get so emotionally invested in that book... it's only a tool
2. Talk to a pharmaceutical rep or surgical device distributor and have them get you the book if your book fund money is too limited.

Last edited by a moderator: