DistantMets

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
143
1
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was thinking about doing a few weeks of SCI at Kessler and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the service or with Dr. Kirshblum? Thanks.
 

dalox812

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
14
0
Status
Yeah..I did SCI a few months ago at Kessler. My experiences with the service was mixed. I worked with an attending who complained about everything and had an opinion for everything. It was a tough four weeks but I did learn more than I expected to. Man, she was a real piece of work..Let's just leave it at that... If you work with Dr. Kirshblum, consider yourself real lucky. He is really down to earth and never gets angry. He is a real nice guy and if you are interested in SCI, you will have a great time working with him. You will definitely work but you will learn a lot. I hear that he writes pretty good letters of recommendation too.

Hope this helps...

late
dalox812


DistantMets said:
I was thinking about doing a few weeks of SCI at Kessler and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the service or with Dr. Kirshblum? Thanks.
 

axm397

SDN Moderator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 25, 2003
1,750
65
texas
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I did an SCI rotation with Dr. Kirshblum at Kessler my 4th yr of med school (last year). I LOVED my time there - it's longer hours since Dr. K has lots of administrative duties and he is very thorough and compassionate with each of his patients. I think I pre-rounded on about 4 pts max, presented them during rounds, then took care of orders, visited pts in PT/OT/ST, followed up on studies and lab work, etc. I worked with ONE resident and he was great. There are other SCI attendings with 1 resident each and some med students. (many from UMDNJ since it's a required rotation)

I know exactly which attending dalox is talking about too. She's one of those you either hate or love her and she either hates or loves you type thing... She's more talk than action though. :)

Anyways, if you get to do a rotation with Dr. Kirshblum, you will definitely learn A LOT. He is a wonderful teacher and although he is a "superstar", he doesn't act like one. He spends time with his patients and their families and treats everyone with respect. He is gentle, and genuinely caring. There's just not enough good things to say about him. He is also the residency program director now (or associate???) which will also help you. And a letter from him, if you can get one (it's hard to get enough time with him to really get to know you and write a good letter.), will definitely open doors. He is definitely one of the best human beings I have ever met.
 
About the Ads

dalox812

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
14
0
Status
Hey...axm397.....about that attending I referred to...which side were you on...the love side..or the hate side???....



axm397 said:
I did an SCI rotation with Dr. Kirshblum at Kessler my 4th yr of med school (last year). I LOVED my time there - it's longer hours since Dr. K has lots of administrative duties and he is very thorough and compassionate with each of his patients. I think I pre-rounded on about 4 pts max, presented them during rounds, then took care of orders, visited pts in PT/OT/ST, followed up on studies and lab work, etc. I worked with ONE resident and he was great. There are other SCI attendings with 1 resident each and some med students. (many from UMDNJ since it's a required rotation)

I know exactly which attending dalox is talking about too. She's one of those you either hate or love her and she either hates or loves you type thing... She's more talk than action though. :)

Anyways, if you get to do a rotation with Dr. Kirshblum, you will definitely learn A LOT. He is a wonderful teacher and although he is a "superstar", he doesn't act like one. He spends time with his patients and their families and treats everyone with respect. He is gentle, and genuinely caring. There's just not enough good things to say about him. He is also the residency program director now (or associate???) which will also help you. And a letter from him, if you can get one (it's hard to get enough time with him to really get to know you and write a good letter.), will definitely open doors. He is definitely one of the best human beings I have ever met.
 

paz5559

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2004
402
1
Status
dalox812 said:
Hey...axm397.....about that attending I referred to...which side were you on...the love side..or the hate side???....

You guys DO realize a lot of staff actually READ this board, right?
 
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads