Sciatica Nerve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pubicsymphysis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Recently my friend reaggrivated his sciatic nerve. I was wondering what he can do on his own to rehab that nerve and what he can expect a physical therapist can do, like treatment plans. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

piriformis stretch, piriformis release, hamstring stretch, lower trunk rotations, gastroc stretch.pelvic tilts.
Maybe some ultrasound if nothing else works.

I think it would all depend on the exact cause of the injury; whether it is from a herniated disc or irritation of the nerve somewhere else. It could also be caused by something like spinal stenosis.

However, I think it cant hurt to start stretching the hips (especially posterior chain) and make an attempt at hinging at the hips instead of rounding the lower back when bending over. Greater flexibility in the posterior chain will make this easier.

Just the thoughts of a 1st year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultrasound? Really?

To me, it all depends on the individual. First and foremost, he needs to see a quality PT who is going to assess and determine if the nerve is impinged on due to muscle tightening or lengthening. From here, the therapist can provide exercises that do not contradict his pathology and can even do some ART or other manual therapy to make more abrupt results to the soft tissue.

Hey guys! Recently my friend reaggrivated his sciatic nerve. I was wondering what he can do on his own to rehab that nerve and what he can expect a physical therapist can do, like treatment plans. Thanks!

neural flossing

Ultrasound? Really?

To me, it all depends on the individual. First and foremost, he needs to see a quality PT who is going to assess and determine if the nerve is impinged on due to muscle tightening or lengthening. From here, the therapist can provide exercises that do not contradict his pathology and can even do some ART or other manual therapy to make more abrupt results to the soft tissue.

Re: Ultrasound. The questions posed was what she could expect. I haven't personally(or under my supervision) used ultrasound for anything for about 18 months(i think it was plantar fascitis)...but a lot of people use it to relax the piriformis.

Yes, OF COURSE it all depends on the patient and the evaluation and all that jazz. Everyone gets so worked up that you must say something about clinical relevance based on evaluation, but that's a given. I'm telling you what exercises are most likely to be expected, barring some unexpected revelation from the eval.

Re: Ultrasound. The questions posed was what she could expect. I haven't personally(or under my supervision) used ultrasound for anything for about 18 months(i think it was plantar fascitis)...but a lot of people use it to relax the piriformis.

Yes, OF COURSE it all depends on the patient and the evaluation and all that jazz. Everyone gets so worked up that you must say something about clinical relevance based on evaluation, but that's a given. I'm telling you what exercises are most likely to be expected, barring some unexpected revelation from the eval.

Ultrasound? I prefer laser, sir.

Lets be real, I have 15 mins to see your friend. Where does it hurt? ok stretch that out a bit, do a core exercise. Ultrasound + ice + stim lower back.

Next please.

Lets be real, I have 15 mins to see your friend. Where does it hurt? ok stretch that out a bit, do a core exercise. Ultrasound + ice + stim lower back.

Next please.

Squirrel,

A lot of your posts seem to indicate you work at a mill. You might want to try observing a real PT before you get too far into this career.

Next please.

I dont know if I am naive about how this whole PT thing. I am going to start my program in the summer. I do understand seeing patients is time consuming and you have to be smart with your time. But I hope... I dont view my patients the way you process them.

To everyone else! Thank you for the help. I actually did some stretches and exercises with him and it was awesome. He feels so much better and we been working at it for about a week. Much appreciated.

Next please.

Therapists like you just don't " get it". That is not physical therapy that you are performing, that is fake and bake therapy. I highly suggest that you choose another profession.

Therapists like you just don't " get it". That is not physical therapy that you are performing, that is fake and bake therapy. I highly suggest that you choose another profession.

Good thing he or she isn't a therapist. Likely working as a tech, from "Pre-rehab sci" thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought ultrasound treatment was specific to tendons/ligaments and reducing the collagen build-up from being damaged so your stretching and rehab is more pro-active. Would that really be utilized in sciatic nerve compression?

Next please.

Judging by your previous post, I assume this is an attempt at sarcasm. :xf: Unfortunately, you suck as displaying it. :cool: Emoticons, man. Use 'em. :thumbup:

However, if my assumption is incorrect, "what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul..." :cool:

Judging by your previous post, I assume this is an attempt at sarcasm. :xf: Unfortunately, you suck as displaying it. :cool: Emoticons, man. Use 'em. :thumbup:

However, if my assumption is incorrect, "what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul..." :cool:

Op, sciatica is a symptom diagnosis, right on par with pathological diagnoses in terms of helpfulness. Both do little to nothing to guide treatment on their own,. I wonder if information about symptom description/behavior, myotomes, dermatomes, reflexes, directional preference, centralization/peripheralization motions, SLR ROM, any findings on x-ray/MRI, person's age/sex, occupation, ADL's, and a lengthy subjective....would be helpful. In any case ultrasound and laser are likely to be worthless. And the HEP/interventions are based on the evaluation findings. Quit looking at me swan.

Op, sciatica is a symptom diagnosis, right on par with pathological diagnoses in terms of helpfulness. Both do little to nothing to guide treatment on their own,. I wonder if information about symptom description/behavior, myotomes, dermatomes, reflexes, directional preference, centralization/peripheralization motions, SLR ROM, any findings on x-ray/MRI, person's age/sex, occupation, ADL's, and a lengthy subjective....would be helpful. In any case ultrasound and laser are likely to be worthless. And the HEP/interventions are based on the evaluation findings. Quit looking at me swan.

Haha I'm sorry but this one went well beyond over my head. :confused:

I found some articles online with title: natural sciatica treatment plans.

Will they work?

I found some articles too :)
I don't know will they work or not.
But many articles out online.
If any people have experience with natural treat/diet for sciatica, please do share.

Last edited:
Uhh, come on guys! Diathermy is where it's at.