Science and non-science LOR help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podiumman999

Reaction score
Hi! I am applying this upcoming cycle and would like some feedback/clarification for my LOR's to make sure I cover my bases. For context, I just graduated with a BS/MS in engineering. My concerns are for the non-science LOR as I have not taken a humanities class since my freshman year when I originally took all of my humanities classes before switching to engineering. In terms of science LOR's, I also have a LOR from my Calc 4 TA (PhD student) that was not cosigned by the professor from 2021. I am trying to get it updated, but am not too hopeful about it. Would it be safe to try and get another LOR from one of my graduate professors or my graduate director?

Currently, I have LOR's from:

- Clinic coordinator from my volunteering

- Process simulation (engineering major)

- Calculus 4 TA (from 2021, but am I trying to get this updated but unsure if I can get it updated or even cosigned by the professor)

- Cell Biology Professor/PI from research

Working on:

- Physician from my scribe job

- Maybe one from my graduate director or graduate professor

Members don't see this ad.

More letters typically are not helpful. If you have a graduate professor for a writing class, you could attempt to use that. Do not use the TA letter if the professor does not co-sign, you can try to use one of your graduate engineering professors for that. Choose one out of the clinic coordinator and physician from your scribe job.

More letters typically are not helpful. If you have a graduate professor for a writing class, you could attempt to use that. Do not use the TA letter if the professor does not co-sign, you can try to use one of your graduate engineering professors for that. Choose one out of the clinic coordinator and physician from your scribe job.
Yes, I am not too hopeful on getting it cosigned either so I am looking for another professor to write a LOR for me to replace that. My graduate degree was in chemical engineering so I did not take any writing classes. I however did do projects such as research/design reports though. So I still feel stuck in terms of who I can realistically reach out to for a non-science professor LOR. Would this be something I should just try to reach out to schools on my list individually to inquire about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am not too hopeful on getting it cosigned either so I am looking for another professor to write a LOR for me to replace that. My graduate degree was in chemical engineering so I did not take any writing classes. I however did do projects such as research/design reports though. So I still feel stuck in terms of who I can realistically reach out to for a non-science professor LOR. Would this be something I should just try to reach out to schools on my list individually to inquire about?
Check the schools from your WAMC post that Faha suggested. They will list this information on their individual admissions sites. If you only need to cut a handful out, then you don’t need to bother getting a non-science LOR.

You can drop the TA letter once you get the physician letter. Strong letters are better than more letters.
I just got the physician to agree to write a LOR. Would I not need to worry about an additional science letter? I also realize that some schools are requiring an additional graduate LOR, which I would need since I finished my Master's.

Reactions: 1 user