illgetin1day

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
If I need to raise my science GPA even after retaking the prereq's that I got a C in can I take more science classes that arn't even prereq's inorder to increase it even more?

SoccerCoach10

Graduated y'all!
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If I need to raise my science GPA even after retaking the prereq's that I got a C in can I take more science classes that arn't even prereq's inorder to increase it even more?
Yes. You can take whatever science courses you want.

OP
I

illgetin1day

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I know people have asked this before but I am still a little confused as to what counts as a science course according to pharmcas. I know classes like chem, bio, anat & phys, and physics are counted. But are classes in geology, oceanography, astronomy, forensics, health, clinical/medical laboratory science, nursing? (also if a course has a designation of PHY which at my school means physics does it mean that it counts as a science course?) Would classes like Into to nutrition, physiology of wellness (both of those start with BIO for their course numbers)?

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Kansas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Absolutely! I'd say go for it. Just make sure they aren't lower level classes. For example: let's say biochem is not required for you, take it anyway and it'll help your GPA and also show further your ability to handle higher level classes. I'm fairly sure though that things like geology and meteorology don't count really as science classes. At least the kind you would need.

Another way to raise your GPA is to take what I call "filler" classes. Basically gen ed stuff like history, english, humanities, etc.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Kansas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I know people have asked this before but I am still a little confused as to what counts as a science course according to pharmcas. I know classes like chem, bio, anat & phys, and physics are counted. But are classes in geology, oceanography, astronomy, forensics, health, clinical/medical laboratory science, nursing? (also if a course has a designation of PHY which at my school means physics does it mean that it counts as a science course?) Would classes like Into to nutrition, physiology of wellness (both of those start with BIO for their course numbers)?
Meant to add more...

Regarding allied health classes, they really don't appear to count for much and might not even transfer so be careful. I took Intro to Healthcare this semester but my reason was purely that I needed some way to raise my GPA. I don't expect it to count as much later down the road. Even though nutrition and wellness (allied health) classes might have a "BIO" prefix it doesn't mean they are necessarily the same kind of biology classes as the ones you take during prereq's. Physics however I think would be something you could and should do if needing to raise your GPA and want to take classes that are applicable later on. Hope this helps some.