Science GPA and Next Semester's Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my school sent me an e-mail today telling me that the national average science GPA for those accepted to med school this past year was a 3.6. They told me that my sci GPA is a 3.67. Then, they said if your sci GPA is near the national average, then you might want to reconsider your science courses for the fall. I am planning on taking physics (duh, can't change that!) in the fall along with vertebrate structure. I think vertebrate structure will be a challenging but interesting class. However, I don't want my GPA to sufffer. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

why would your gpa suffer if you took 2 science classes at once? i think that's pretty much standard. one semester i took cell bio, organic, and physics -- all with no credit 3-4 hr labs -- plus a geology course. that was a bit much, but 2 shouldn't be a problem.

Are you applying to med school this year? IF you already submitted AMCAS, who cares if you get a B in a class....your GPA is already set in stone as far as med schools are concerned, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

Originally posted by JulianCrane
they said if your sci GPA is near the national average, then you might want to reconsider your science courses for the fall. I am planning on taking physics (duh, can't change that!) in the fall along with vertebrate structure. I think vertebrate structure will be a challenging but interesting class. However, I don't want my GPA to sufffer. Advice?

It depends how *you* feel about such a course load. Last semester I worked a full time job (ie 40 hours/week) at the same time as doing Chem 2 and Bio 2 both with labs, and an upper division English Lit class which required me to read a new novel for every class. That was admittedly tough. But my point isn't "anything is possible" but "only you know what you can handle". I knew I could handle that load so I did it. Having said that I will never attempt it again....

How have you done in science in the past? Do you intend taking anything beyond those 2 science classes? Do you work? Or have any other committments? It all makes a differnce...my advice? Trust *your* instincts, not some mass email from the administration....

good luck

He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

Originally posted by bludeviled
the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

So I guess the take-home message is - it doesn't matter if you take the science classes or not, but if you are really worried about GPA/IQ stop watching daytime.....:laugh:

If anything, Passions was a great stress reliever all through last year as I was struggling to find my way through Orgo. :laugh: