JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2001
Visit site
Status
So, my school sent me an e-mail today telling me that the national average science GPA for those accepted to med school this past year was a 3.6. They told me that my sci GPA is a 3.67. Then, they said if your sci GPA is near the national average, then you might want to reconsider your science courses for the fall. I am planning on taking physics (duh, can't change that!) in the fall along with vertebrate structure. I think vertebrate structure will be a challenging but interesting class. However, I don't want my GPA to sufffer. Advice?

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
why would your gpa suffer if you took 2 science classes at once? i think that's pretty much standard. one semester i took cell bio, organic, and physics -- all with no credit 3-4 hr labs -- plus a geology course. that was a bit much, but 2 shouldn't be a problem.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2002
Planet of the cows
Status
Are you applying to med school this year? IF you already submitted AMCAS, who cares if you get a B in a class....your GPA is already set in stone as far as med schools are concerned, no?

About the Ads

bludeviled

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2001
infront of an iMac
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by JulianCrane
they said if your sci GPA is near the national average, then you might want to reconsider your science courses for the fall. I am planning on taking physics (duh, can't change that!) in the fall along with vertebrate structure. I think vertebrate structure will be a challenging but interesting class. However, I don't want my GPA to sufffer. Advice?
It depends how *you* feel about such a course load. Last semester I worked a full time job (ie 40 hours/week) at the same time as doing Chem 2 and Bio 2 both with labs, and an upper division English Lit class which required me to read a new novel for every class. That was admittedly tough. But my point isn't "anything is possible" but "only you know what you can handle". I knew I could handle that load so I did it. Having said that I will never attempt it again....

How have you done in science in the past? Do you intend taking anything beyond those 2 science classes? Do you work? Or have any other committments? It all makes a differnce...my advice? Trust *your* instincts, not some mass email from the administration....

good luck

bludeviled

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2001
infront of an iMac
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by bludeviled
the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

So I guess the take-home message is - it doesn't matter if you take the science classes or not, but if you are really worried about GPA/IQ stop watching daytime.....:laugh:

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2001
Visit site
Status
If anything, Passions was a great stress reliever all through last year as I was struggling to find my way through Orgo. :laugh:

About the Ads