1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Science GPA and Next Semester's Classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JulianCrane, Jul 19, 2002.

1. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention
    10+ Year Member

So, my school sent me an e-mail today telling me that the national average science GPA for those accepted to med school this past year was a 3.6. They told me that my sci GPA is a 3.67. Then, they said if your sci GPA is near the national average, then you might want to reconsider your science courses for the fall. I am planning on taking physics (duh, can't change that!) in the fall along with vertebrate structure. I think vertebrate structure will be a challenging but interesting class. However, I don't want my GPA to sufffer. Advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

why would your gpa suffer if you took 2 science classes at once? i think that's pretty much standard. one semester i took cell bio, organic, and physics -- all with no credit 3-4 hr labs -- plus a geology course. that was a bit much, but 2 shouldn't be a problem.

4. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Are you applying to med school this year? IF you already submitted AMCAS, who cares if you get a B in a class....your GPA is already set in stone as far as med schools are concerned, no?

5. bludeviled

bludeviled Member
    7+ Year Member

He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

6. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

It depends how *you* feel about such a course load. Last semester I worked a full time job (ie 40 hours/week) at the same time as doing Chem 2 and Bio 2 both with labs, and an upper division English Lit class which required me to read a new novel for every class. That was admittedly tough. But my point isn't "anything is possible" but "only you know what you can handle". I knew I could handle that load so I did it. Having said that I will never attempt it again....

How have you done in science in the past? Do you intend taking anything beyond those 2 science classes? Do you work? Or have any other committments? It all makes a differnce...my advice? Trust *your* instincts, not some mass email from the administration....

good luck

7. bludeviled

bludeviled Member
    7+ Year Member

He should care about his grades even post-graduation b/c if he's waitlisted its good to show them a glowing transcript that says "see I can handle two hard science classes and do well" please let me in"

I would say to take both of those classes

JulianCrane, is that your real name or do you have a penchant for the lame excuse of a TV show called "Passions" on CBS? daytime?

PS - I was hooked for a few episodes and then I realized it was making my IQ drop so I stopped

8. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

So I guess the take-home message is - it doesn't matter if you take the science classes or not, but if you are really worried about GPA/IQ stop watching daytime.....:laugh:

9. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention
    10+ Year Member

If anything, Passions was a great stress reliever all through last year as I was struggling to find my way through Orgo. :laugh: