Science GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evald1211

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering what opinions are as to whether these classes count as science gpa courses.

- Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology (course code is PCB Process Cell Biology)

and

- Physiological Psychology (course code is Psychobiology)

I know psychology and pharmacology classes do not count as science gpa, but these seem a little more like science classes.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

PCB is the code Mol. Bio is under at my school. I think that would likely count. I don't think the psych bio would (though it sounds extremely cool).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering what opinions are as to whether these classes count as science gpa courses.

- Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology (course code is PCB Process Cell Biology)

and

- Physiological Psychology (course code is Psychobiology)

I know psychology and pharmacology classes do not count as science gpa, but these seem a little more like science classes.

Thank you all!

1. How is each course classified by your school?

(a) Is the Physiological Psychology course classified as a Biology course or as a Psychology course by your school (e.g., is it a course offered by the Department of Biology, or Department of Psychology, or something else at your school)? For instance, if it is a Biology course offered by the Department of Biology, it is a Biology course for BCPM classification.

(b) Is the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology course classified as a Biology course or as a Pharmacology course by your school? Same reasons as set forth above.

2. What is the primary *content* of each course?

(a) To help determine the answer to this question concerning primary content, the course syllabus for each course should show the course content was mainly "biology-based" for BCPM classification.

Here is the bottom line:

(a) If AMCAS disagrees with you, AMCAS will re-classify the course as something else.

(b) In other words, you could classify each course as BCPM. Then, AMCAS will either accept the course classification provided by you or AMCAS will re-classify the course. Initially, it's your choice.

(c) For reference, see the AMCAS Course Classification Guide.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Reactions: 2 users
1. How is each course classified by your school?

(a) Is the Physiological Psychology course classified as a Biology course or as a Psychology course by your school (e.g., is it a course offered by the Department of Biology, or Department of Psychology, or something else at your school)? For instance, if it is a Biology course offered by the Department of Biology, it is a Biology course for BCPM classification.

(b) Is the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology course classified as a Biology course or as a Pharmacology course by your school? Same reasons as set forth above.

2. What is the primary *content* of each course?

(a) To help determine the answer to this question concerning primary content, the course syllabus for each course should show the course content was mainly "biology-based" for BCPM classification.

Here is the bottom line:

(a) If AMCAS disagrees with you, AMCAS will re-classify the course as something else.

(b) In other words, you could classify each course as BCPM. Then, AMCAS will either accept the course classification provided by you or AMCAS will re-classify the course. Initially, it's your choice.

(c) For reference, see the AMCAS Course Classification Guide.

Hope this information is useful to you.
Thank you so much!

Yes, many courses designated as PSYCH are still considered bcpm. Even ones that are not cross listed in Bio/Chm.

Reactions: 1 user