Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROSC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this subject has been crucified over and over again. However, I am in search of a DEFINITIVE answers.

"Are science GPAs ONLY BCMP ?" Biology Chemistry Physics Mathematics

"Do Allied Health Science courses Count towards Science GPA ?"

I have referred to AAMC https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

and on the PDF file I notice they have ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, the answer is no. There maybe some allied health level courses that cover core sciences such as A&P, chemistry, etc. Those may past muster at AMCAS for classification. Anything more clinical or pathology would not.

However, it is also unlikely that they will impress or past muster with an adcom, especially if any are being used to fill any portion of a prereq. One reason that I think while specialized health majors have the worse overall acceptance rate to medical school when compared to the 7 or 8 groups of majors is the lack of coursework at the proper level.

10-4,
I was just curious as to calculating my explicit sGPA. I have a few Allied Health Courses on my transcript and needed some transparency.

Thanks so much for the help

Unfortunately not.

With the exception of college anatomy and physiology courses (i.e. if taken as part of a paramedic AS/BS program) most allied health courses (EMT/RT/RN) are listed separately from your science GPA.

A/P is one of the few exceptions since it counts as a biology course.