science proff rec letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashinka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When the school asks for 2-3 letters of rec from science professors, does it mean that they must be science professors that you took lecture-style classes from?
Only USC made that specification, so I was wondering if it is pretty open ended.
As of right now I was have one letter of rec from a professor I have been doing research for (I took an independant research class from him) and a professor that I was a TA for.
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah USC is pissing me off. They SPECIFICALLY ask for a letter from a BCP professor. So annoying.

You bring up an interesting point, I am curious what the answers people will give.

Members don't see this ad :)
mashinka.

that is a great question. I would have NEVER thought to investigate this matter. I do hope for the best resolution possible.

I know for Umich and Detroit Mercy you cannot count rec letters from research profs as a science letter. You must get science rec letters from professors you have taken a class with. I'm guessing it's the same for all other dental schools too.

For Penn and UOP I know that TA LORs count as the same as science professor LORs. I would ask other schools specifically but so far USC is the only school I've heard of that requires the letters to be from professors that taught you in lecture.

dude, i dont even know what a committe letter is.....anyone want to elaborate?