Science Studying Tactics/Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

Okay so I've been getting B's in my science courses in my first two years of undergrad in college. I just wanted to get an idea of what would be a good change to my study habits to finally get A's in them for my sGPA.

Throughout these first two years, I would take the lecture notes and take notes out of the book reading. Before the test I would complete the study guide (if there was one), and I would re-read the lecture and text book notes I took.

The changes I will be making is to focus more on practice problems out of the book instead of focusing on the text book reading so much. I will still be taking lecture notes. I will also buy the guides to the practice problems from the back of the book.

For those who get A's in science classes, is this a good approach? Any tips you use to get the A's?

Thanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Most of all, you have to put in the time. My philosophy is that if you don't know the material so well that you are PUMPED to take the test cuz you're gonna kill it, then you don't know it well enough and better keep going. Ha.

For bio, I'm a strong believer in notecards. I'll put pretty much all my notes onto notecards, turning the facts into questions that I have to answer, or leaving blanks that I have to fill in. And I read the sections from the book before class.

For chem, I usually go through every section really slowly, taking notes, and doing every practice problem and making sure I understand it.

Physics: sucks. All I can say is practice.

Study at least 3 days in advance of any test. If you need more time to solidify concepts, take more time. For me, I prepare everything I need before those 3 days of studying. Like if I have to take notes, I do it before then. I take notes of missed lectures etc. Those three days are devoted to memorizing and doing practice problems, not taking notes and what not.
And yeah, physics is just..... even if you do all the practice problems, you can screw up on a test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found that I do better when I use a white board and use webs to connect my ideas. Then I erase everything and try to write as much as I can remember and connect everything that I possibly can to each idea. note cards don't work well for me. I try to stay away from cards because I feel that they prompt me and don't force me to think. Everyone's different though.

Most of all, you have to put in the time. My philosophy is that if you don't know the material so well that you are PUMPED to take the test cuz you're gonna kill it, then you don't know it well enough and better keep going. Ha.

Thanks chippy. I'm definitely going to focus on my feeling for the test. That is actually a big help.

for straight memorization, i built card sets at flashcardexchange.com and use mental case on an ipod touch.

I learn as i type it in and flipping through cards. the size of the itouch makes it easy to keep 400+ cards in your pocket for flipping through on the bus, before a test, during lunch, etc.

^ just looked up that app and I think I may try that out. Cool how much you learn on this site. Anyone have any other useful apps or study methods?

yea, flashcardexchange.com has a ton of pre-made cards that other users have submitted and that you can download for free, but I find I learn most if I make them myself.

I do kinda wish I would have found these before taking my DAT, though.

Personally, I think if you can explain every concept taught in lecture to somebody you study with or know and the person you explained to understands everything you've said, then I'd say you have a great chance in acing a midterm.

But every class is different and your study tactics largely depend on your professor. To me, two extreme types are "power-point" oriented and "black board" oriented. I usually like the "black board" types of professors because I can't memorize that well...I like to apply my knowledge on the exam...(response types of questions). But sometimes for "power-point" types, you just have to memorize every slide and write notes all over.

One thing though, it might sound like i'm an over achiever, but going to office hours frequently helps enforcing concepts that is taught just recently. Even if you aren't the one who's constantly asking questions, repetitive exposures to the stuff taught is a good way to familiarize and eventually apply those knowledge. Good luck.

One thing though, it might sound like i'm an over achiever, but going to office hours frequently helps enforcing concepts that is taught just recently. Even if you aren't the one who's constantly asking questions, repetitive exposures to the stuff taught is a good way to familiarize and eventually apply those knowledge. Good luck.

This is good advice, if for no other reason than to see the material from a slightly different angle than presented in class. Many times I think I have the concept down, only to go talk to the prof, and them explain it in a slightly different way that really solidifies the concept in the fashion that will be asked on an exam.

^yeah definitely use the professors office hours. They are there yo help you so take advantage of that.

For me, the flash cards method doesnt work. It might be because I don't know how to make a good flash card, but I feel like it breaks the connection btw concepts. I rather try to think about map or web to connect each concept together and try to understand why it happens at this situation, but it happens differently at another situation. You really need to understand concepts. For ex, in O-chem, there are lots of exceptions and I try to understand why or what condition makes the odd reaction occur in that way. There is a reason for that alwyas. At the same time, I try to take a note with my own words when I hit the text book and take note. It's kind of funny to revisit my note I used to study for DAT. I communicated and worte down so many bad words to myself when I was taking a note of the wrong answers.:D
Anyways, the rule of thumb is time consumption. The longer you study with focus always gives you the better product.

Good Luck:laugh: