Nov 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Would research done with a scientific diving certification count be a meaningful research experience to include on an application? I have long had a love for diving and have the opportunity to join some research projects this next year; just wondering if this experience alone would be significant or if it would be better to supplement it with bench research in chemistry/biochemistry?

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
You should absolutely pursue it if it is one of your passions as it is one way to show you are not a cookie cutter applicant. Research doesn't have to necessarily be only medicine/biomedicine-based. As long as you also have relevant clinical experiences as well, the scientific diving stuff would be a neat and unique thing on your application

No Limits

I was told there'd be Cookies
Nov 3, 2013
Schrödinger's Box
Status
Medical Student
You should absolutely pursue it if it is one of your passions as it is one way to show you are not a cookie cutter applicant. Research doesn't have to necessarily be only medicine/biomedicine-based. As long as you also have relevant clinical experiences as well, the scientific diving stuff would be a neat and unique thing on your application
Agreed 100%

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with darkjedi, research does not necessarily have to be in the basic sciences and this would certainly be a very unique research experience. But if this research experience is mostly physical work (diving and collecting data) without any intellectual work (analyzing the data later on to test a hypothesis and/or draw other conclusions), then it might be worth supplementing it with more traditional research.