Scientific Journals

Started by dupp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dupp

sleeping in class...
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current medical students suscribe to a scienctific/medical journal? Has reading a journal regularly increased your knowledge of medicine? I was considering getting the New England Journal of Medicine when I start my first year in August. Any other recommendations?
 
dupp said:
Do any current medical students suscribe to a scienctific/medical journal? Has reading a journal regularly increased your knowledge of medicine? I was considering getting the New England Journal of Medicine when I start my first year in August. Any other recommendations?

Why would you waste several hundered dollars a year for a personal subscription to a scholarly journal. That is why you pay 20-40k per year to go to a medical school with a library!
 
skiz knot said:
Why would you waste several hundered dollars a year for a personal subscription to a scholarly journal. That is why you pay 20-40k per year to go to a medical school with a library!
And I can pretty much guarantee, even if he/she got the darned subscription for free, that 99% of the issues would not be read...
OP - how much extra time do you really think you will have in medical school? Now, sit here and imagine what you would LIKE to do with that extra time - if, in your imagined life, you really think you would prefer to sit down with NEJM and read it cover to cover (or even an article here and there) rather than having some fun with friends, going out, perhaps exercising, then I would say A) that doesn't sound like an enjoyable life to me, and B) why not order both NEJM and JAMA for a REALLY good time?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the very beginning of school, I think it's better to start building the foundation of your knowledge base out of textbooks than journals. You'll have difficulty even understanding what the articles are trying to show or how it's clinically relevant because you won't have the background. I'm starting 4th year right now and I still struggle with some journal articles.

It's not worth the personal subscription. Your school will have it available for you. Most likely, they'll have online access for your convinience as well.
 
Get a subscription to National Geographic or something non-medical...you'll be thankful of the distraction of some non-medical reading material when you start 1st year!
 
ditto to all the above...
i had virtually no time to read journals during basic science years.
it's only during my 4th year that I've had time to keep up with some journals and I use my school's library to access the online editions. Very convenient and I have found there are usually only 1-2 articles per edition worth printing out or saving to my Yahoo briefcase for future storage.

Also keep in mind, 52 journals adds up very quickly to a pain in the butt when moving at the end of your 4th your (my back is still smarting from the forests of paper I threw away from all the journals I had subscribed to).
 
I enjoy reading Scientific American when I'm on the pooper. I would recommend that or maybe something like US News (for news, not school rankings), Time, or Newsweek just so you don't lead a sheltered life.
 
dupp said:
Do any current medical students suscribe to a scienctific/medical journal? Has reading a journal regularly increased your knowledge of medicine? I was considering getting the New England Journal of Medicine when I start my first year in August. Any other recommendations?

Penthouse is a quality journal to review current trends in anatomical research in the medical field. Impact factor equivalent or better than Cell, Nature, and Science. (depends on who you ask).
Get your subscription today!