scleral buckle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At first i wasnt sure if it was appropriate to post messages like this but some others did and got responses so i will. a couple of years ago I had a retinal detachment and underwent surgery for it(scleral buckle). My retina has been successfully attached for about a year and half. I'm severely near-sighted and understand that they are most prone to detachments. My question is will playing ice or roller hockey(with helmet and face cage) be a big risk for detachment. The opthalmologist basically said absolutely, you are just asking for another retinal detachment. I just want some opinions from some of you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

me9,

Being a high myope (near sided), places you at risk for retinal detachments in both eyes. Because you're near sided, your axial eye length is much longer than the norm. The longer eye anatomy results in more retinal detechments due to greater strain and traction that is placed on the retina.

Any activity that places additional strain and traction on your retina will increase your risks for a retinal detachment. Thus, activies that result in contact, jarring, and sudden forceful movements of the head will increase strain and traction on your retina, e.g. football, hockey, wrestling, boxing, etc... Furthermore, because you already had one retinal detachment because of myopia, you're at an even higher risk for a repeat detachment either in the same eye or the other eye.

I'd listen to your doctor and avoid the contact sports if you value your vision.

Yeah, I'd becareful. You already had a detachment - you are at higher risk for it to happen again. This time you might not be so lucky and have macula off RD.
There are plenty of ways to get fit without getting banged up.