SCO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ks25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the first interview at SCO yet? I’m wondering if it’s strictly questions about my application or if I should prepare for actual interview questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, did you have your interview with SCO ? I have a faculty interview next with SCO . Can you give any insight now?

Yes! It was such an amazing interview! I talked with a faculty member who is from Minnesota (where I am from) and who attended the same undergrad university as me so there was much to touch on that was not necessarily optometry related! The interview itself lasted around 45min, although there were only a few prompted questions that seemed like they were required to bring up (ex. what was your favorite undergraduate class? why optometry? why SCO? which semester was the hardest for you and why?) Overall, it was a really great experience and I had been more nervous after the admissions interview than I was after the faculty one!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! It was such an amazing interview! I talked with a faculty member who is from Minnesota (where I am from) and who attended the same undergrad university as me so there was much to touch on that was not necessarily optometry related! The interview itself lasted around 45min, although there were only a few prompted questions that seemed like they were required to bring up (ex. what was your favorite undergraduate class? why optometry? why SCO? which semester was the hardest for you and why?) Overall, it was a really great experience and I had been more nervous after the admissions interview than I was after the faculty one!
WOW ! Sounds like you hit it out of the park ! I am glad to hear it was positive. I agree this whole process is a little nerve wrecking...lol

Ks25... thank you for info !!! It helps a lot.

Has anyone done the first interview at SCO yet? I’m wondering if it’s strictly questions about my application or if I should prepare for actual interview questions.
How was the admissions interview (the first one)? What type of questions do they ask? Thanks!

How was the admissions interview (the first one)? What type of questions do they ask? Thanks!
The first one was basically a file review. So it was questions like "why this score/grade?, tell me about volunteer experience, etc."

The first one was basically a file review. So it was questions like "why this score/grade?, tell me about volunteer experience, etc."
Thank you! How would you compare this one to the faculty interview? Do they ask similar questions with one open file vs the other closed?

Thank you! How would you compare this one to the faculty interview? Do they ask similar questions with one open file vs the other closed?
I mention my experience earlier in this thread! I thought the open file interview was much more stressful compared to talking with a faculty member!

I had a bit of a different experience! My first interview wasn't very in-depth, he kinda just asked me why optometry, we talked about my undergrad institution a little bit and said I have met all my prerequisites and have everything in my file that they need and then he let me ask questions. It only lasted like 15 minutes which I was kinda concerned about but Mr. Hauser was so nice! My faculty interview also went well and my interviewer is the vice president of academic affairs and seemed very established so I was very nervous initially. He made me feel very comfortable and just started with "tell me about yourself and how you got into optometry, you can go as in-depth as you wish with your response." From my response, i touched on different aspects of my life including where I went to school, how I got interested in optometry, why I chose the majors that I did (i was a liberal arts major), my volunteer experiences, and then asked me how the practice I work with is dealing with COVID. The question that threw me off the most was him asking about concerns about optometry that the doctors I currently work with have expressed in the office. and then he let me ask questions. it lasted about 45 minutes and throughout the interview, he would be very reassuring and say "good response or that's great" after like everything. good luck!!