SCO vs. ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3eb4me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help.
I got into both, and now I have 3 weeks to decide. :eek: Which one would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying till next year but it seems to me that SCO would be preferred since the cost of the schooling and living is less. Oh and by the way SCO actually will give you $400 of your $500 deposit back if you change your mind on attending and let them know before May 31st although I'm not sure if ICO has that policy as well.

I have never been to SCO so I can't compare the two schools, but I will tell you about ICO. Over the next year, ICO will be completely renovating the labs and pre-clinic lab...basically the entire 3rd floor. It will be pretty nice. I'm not sure of the timeline, but they are planning to build an out patient surgery-center. I'm not saying the school is perfect, but they are planning some good things over the next couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
rpames said:
I have never been to SCO so I can't compare the two schools, but I will tell you about ICO. Over the next year, ICO will be completely renovating the labs and pre-clinic lab...basically the entire 3rd floor. It will be pretty nice. I'm not sure of the timeline, but they are planning to build an out patient surgery-center. I'm not saying the school is perfect, but they are planning some good things over the next couple years.
who does the surgery? Do OMDs work with the ODs there?

gsinccom said:
who does the surgery? Do OMDs work with the ODs there?

ICO works with University of Chicago OMD's who will do some of the surgeries. I'm sure that if we can generate enough flow, we will hire our own surgeons eventually.

3eb4me said:
Please help.
I got into both, and now I have 3 weeks to decide. :eek: Which one would you choose and why?

SCO. Great school, terrific board scores, 0% default on student loans (all graduated students have been able to pay back their loans), largest clinic in the U.S. (that is also new), terrific board scores (yes, I know I already said that but it is important), Memphis is cool, southern hospitality. :D :D :D

sco1styear said:
SCO. Great school, terrific board scores, 0% default on student loans (all graduated students have been able to pay back their loans), largest clinic in the U.S. (that is also new), terrific board scores (yes, I know I already said that but it is important), Memphis is cool, southern hospitality. :D :D :D

Thanks. You're right about the board scores. I also like the fact the admissions office was very friendly. They sent me a Christmas Card and a free t-shirt.
SCO :thumbup:

I remember during my tour, that in the eye center was an OMD office?
What role does he/she play at the Eye Center, which by the way is very nice.

3eb4me said:
Thanks. You're right about the board scores. I also like the fact the admissions office was very friendly. They sent me a Christmas Card and a free t-shirt.
SCO :thumbup:

I remember during my tour, that in the eye center was an OMD office?
What role does he/she play at the Eye Center, which by the way is very nice.

He does some minor stuff for the school, I'm not sure exactly what.

ICO is nice but I just hated the fact that all first years have to live in dorms. I mean, that is a small factor but it does matter. It feels like college again. Cringe. Maybe I've just lived in dorms way too long...
SCO is a lot cheaper compared to ICO (I think living expense is cheaper too), so you might want to take that into consideration.

Opt2010 said:
ICO is nice but I just hated the fact that all first years have to live in dorms. I mean, that is a small factor but it does matter. It feels like college again. Cringe. Maybe I've just lived in dorms way too long...
SCO is a lot cheaper compared to ICO (I think living expense is cheaper too), so you might want to take that into consideration.

First years can live wherever they want at ICO...

Opt2010 said:

The dorm is not required as a first year, you could live in Wisconsin and drive in everyday for all they care.

prettygreeneyes said:
How's the cost of living in Wisconsin??? :laugh:
I'm not sure about the cost of living in Wisconsin, but I live off campus and am a first year at ICO. Actually, there are quite a few first years (I would guess maybe 40%?) who live off campus. Some as far as Aurora, IL, and others in the same neighborhood as ICO. I live 15 minutes from campus and love it!