SCO vs. UMSL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigeroptometry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed down my acceptances to UMSL and SCO (I turned down my acceptance to UAB). I really liked the small size of UMSL, the students seemed to have a great relationship. They help each other study and are non competitive with each other. UMSL is more expensive than SCO. Both are in large cities-cost of living and crime rates seem equivalent. I’m leaning toward SCO because it has a great reputation with awesome facilities. Can anybody give me insight on the student relationships at SCO?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to SCO because I loved the school. Everyone seemed so friendly, so happy to be there, so nice to one another, AND they have new construction going on which will be ready in August 2013. The clinic was amazing, the tower, I loved the city. Most importantly I could see myself there, I didn't get that feeling at any other school I interviewed at.

I was offered interviews at both schools. I accepted a seat at UMSL for a couple reasons. I had visited UMSL a handful of times before my interview and though I wasn't impressed by the facilities I was amazed with the faculty, staff, and students. The cohesiveness of the student body was undeniable. Also, the small class size (44-46) was a major plus in my opinion. The externship program seems to be superior to what is offered by most other schools. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering why you turned down your acceptance at UAB?

could you elaborate on this please? just curious..

Well I tried to find info online so I could give you a link but I was unable to find anything specific. I have a list of the externship sites that I received with my interview information. Basically what I meant was that they had a very extensive and diverse list of externship opportunities. Also, with the small class size I would assume a student is more likely to be set up with their top choices of externships. So I guess I should rephrase my statement: based on what I'm looking for, UMSL's externship program seems to be superior when compared to the other five schools I was offered interviews at.