Scoping out DAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martin80

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I think I'm going to apply to dental school after all. It's been a long process of deciding, but I'm going for it. I'm just starting my research and all that. So I have to take the DAT eventually, I know. Can anyone tell me a good prep company for it? I don't know much about the test or even how much I need to study, but I figure I should find out about it soon, right?

Gracias --- Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan and thought it was really good. It's kinda pricy but I think most are. The resources at the Kaplan centers are top notch so if you can put in the time, there's plenty of practice exams, both and paper and computer, just like the real DAT. Best of luck

Princeton would just give u mcat books and then a book on perceptual ability so i wouldn't really head there.....although some friends used those books as they explain more of the given subjects...

Kaplan can be good if u go all the time and study outside of class..i mean study...since no class can make u try and study the material...

comparing them..i find princeton to teach you for the first time and kaplan to help you review and teach a lil bit....

I would definitely buy the topscore cd...it's awesome and a good test of your abilities on the dat....i would study first though so u don't waste a test on practice to see how you will really do....

any more questions.....good luck...

p.s. i heard high yield books are phenomenal for studying the DAT....check out amazon.com... :)

hope it helps...and sorry for the long reply...

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, and i might be wrong, Princeton doesnt offer DAT prep anymore. Kaplan is good, but the books are what really help if you dont want to pay that much. You could also get old tests from the ADA.

i took kaplan for dat prep as well and would highly recommend it for its materials. the classes just barely cover the subjects--a brief review at best. what makes kaplan work is going in and studying on your own A LOT. their materials are awesome...definitely do all the subject tests they have in their "library" and use the CD. i think the high cost of their course serves as a good guilt trip to make you go in and study...at least that's what worked for me~! ;)

I concur with wasabi on every point mentioned...I took the same approach and was very happy w/Kaplan!

what I did to study was buy the Kaplan review book(it is the same that they give you in class), the Barrons review, and TOP Score Pro as was mentioned above. TOP Score Pro is a computer program with 3 practice test I found it very helpful to nail down what I needed more work on. I only bought the books because I couldn't bring myself to spend another grand of my parents money. If you are not self motivated though take the class, but the books worked perfectly for me.

Does anyone out there have any left over books or test that they might be willing to sell to me? Please let me know. I plan on taking the DAT in the spring and want to start studying now...trying to manage my funds being that it's Christmas time and all. Thanks a bunch!!

Martin,

I also took Kaplan and thought it was very helpful for the Reading Comp. and the Perceptual portion of the DATs. I went to every single lectures, but they really weren't worth going at all. However, the lessons on Reading Comp and Perceptual helped me a lot. They had lots of tests to go over. I studied the science portion straight from the book. I started taking their tests, but Kaplan tests were way harder than the actual DATs. If I were you, I would buy the Kaplan DAT book at a bookstore for $50 and also get the Barrons (they have excellent perceptual portion) and the High Yield books (comes in each subject). Also get the Topscore CD. The key is to practice taking that test over and over until you feel comfortable with it. Good luck!

I called Princeton Review to find out if they still offer DAT classes and yes, they do. They're given in selected areas, I know in L.A. for certain. You'd have to call them at 800-2REVIEW to find out other locations.

As for someone that posted about Princeton giving les materials than Kaplan, I've heard that their MCAT prep actually has more take-home materials and more actual MCAT tests. Plus, they guarantee all their prep courses. So I would think their DAT prep is equally good. I've personally had excellent success with their SAT prep, and with all the books I've ever bought from them.

Franklin

like the others said, Kaplan is the best! its $1000 for the whole class and materials, but it is worth it. Personally, i don't think that the classes help very much except for the PAT portion, but the Review Book and all the sample tests REALLY prepare you for the DAT! You have to be willing to drive to the Kaplan center A LOT and do ALL the sample tests. I was over-prepared for the DAT and felt really confident after KAPLAN.