Score Good Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxbound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar question about composite score on PCAT...
I got an 80 composite, but the Quantitative section was only 31. (I had not had Calculus at the time I took the test).
Would you take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

it you really, really want to get into pharm school and you think you can bump up that score by all means take the test again. if you have a great gpa, i wouldn't worry so much about it.

The GPA is not so hot...I finished my BA in 2002, so the best I can get GPA-wise with the remaining classes I have to take is a 3.25. I can't afford to retake any of the classes I took during my undergrad at this point in time. So, all of this to say that I am at the low end of the spectrum for GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.25 is still not too bad depending on the school you wish to attend.
If you have some health-care experience I definitly wouldn't be too
worried. Just be prepared to explain the reason for the lower math score.

Rxbound said:
Similar question about composite score on PCAT...
I got an 80 composite, but the Quantitative section was only 31. (I had not had Calculus at the time I took the test).
Would you take it again?

How did you do in the other sections of the exam? I am in a similar boat. I had Calculus, but it was eight years ago and looks like another language to me. I was hoping to do well everywhere else and hopefully it would make up for it. Thanks,

I made a 70 in Chemistry, an 82 in Biology, and a 97 on the Verbal. I have talked to some schools and they have mixed opinions about what to do...hope that helps.

I know that I have been working at all of the different parts of applying so hard so I am sure most people have. I know I'd hate to blow it by one little thing like the math section.

Rxbound, 97 in Verbal??? That's off the hook! Read a lot? ;)

If you take it again -- and prep for your weakest sections -- you will improve.

With a 70 in Chem, you'll want to take it again. I think you could explain away a low quantative score if you did say 90s in Chem. Get the Kaplan book from the Library and study Chemistry, Biology and Math, you should have enough time. :D

Rxbound said:
I made a 70 in Chemistry, an 82 in Biology, and a 97 on the Verbal. I have talked to some schools and they have mixed opinions about what to do...hope that helps.

How about your reading comp or is that included in your verbal score?

crossjb said:
Rxbound, 97 in Verbal??? That's off the hook! Read a lot? ;)

If you take it again -- and prep for your weakest sections -- you will improve.
Does it show? Yeah, I read a whole lot....nerdy, I know. But it paid off here... :laugh:

PHARMD_Maybe? said:
How about your reading comp or is that included in your verbal score?
I got a 91 on the reading part (I think)...I don't know. It was either an 97 in reading or a 97 in verbal, with the other on being a 91. Either way, those were my strongest scores.

Reading is the secret weapon for verbal tests. Your other option is memorizing the dictionary, which is a lot more boring IMO. :)

DownonthePharm said:
Reading is the secret weapon for verbal tests. Your other option is memorizing the dictionary, which is a lot more boring IMO. :)

It's true. I read voraciously, but only nonfiction -- news, sports, history, etc.

Problem is, most of the words you'll see in a section like verbal are contained in the classics or fiction. That, and I feel women are better than men at verbal/reading and men are better at math. It's a right brain, left brain thing. So if you're a dude and suck on verbal, cut yourself a little slack as long as your other scores are there.