Scored well below average on Step2...is this the end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ItalianGuy

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I´ve been a silent visitor of this forum and I apologize in advance for my "what are my chances thread".
It´s just that I feel very frustrated and need a reality-check concerning my future plans.

I´m a final year medical student in Italy and plan to apply for a Residency Position in Pediatrics in the United States in 2010.
I passed Step1 last year with a score of 95. I was very happy that my efforts seemed to pay off, since I literally had no free time as I had to attend both my regular classes at my medical school and also have a part-time job.

I got my Step2 CK Score this wednesday and scored a catastrophic 205/84.
I don´t know what happened, well, I know that I did not prepare as intensive as I did for Step1, using only UW as my single learning tool, but I thought that I would at least score average.

So if I take a look at my scores I feel like my solid Step1 performance is worthless and overshadowed by an under-average Step2 Score.
I guess I lost a lot of interview-opportunities by just scoring <85, being filtered when I will apply through ERAS.

I´ll be doing 2 months of medical electives in the US next year in Pediatrics and will work my ass off to get decent LORs, but I can´t lose the bitter feeling of not getting a chance just because of some stupid numbers.

What do you guys think?
 
Hi,

I´m also still a medical student (Germany), so I can´t speak from experience concerning your match-chances.
I can understand your disappointment in your score, and yes, it might have closed some doors for certain programs, but:

1. Pediatrics seems still to be a less competitive specialty (in contrast to Germany, where it is very competitive).
So while you might get less invitations as if you had scored higher, I think there will still be a decent amount of interview opportunities, as long as you are flexible and apply broadly.

2. Your score is just a part of your application. I think especially in Pediatrics, where at least from my experience work the most dedicated and passionate doctors, I just can´t imagine that scores are the most important part of a candidate.
Your Step1 score is above average, and you have passed both exams on first attempt.

3. Do as good as you can on your electives in the United States.
I´ll be spending 5 months in the US next year, 2 of which I work in Pediatrics.
And you can bet that I will work my butt off. 👍

4. Maybe you could try to do additional electives in the US.
The more the better, it not only familiarizes you with the system and may open a door or two to these programms, but you may get additional LORs.

For what it´s worth. You´ve come this far, and if you want to be a Pediatrician, stay focused and it will work out fine.
 
Thank you Max for your reply.

Although I agree with you that there is more to an applicant than just his score, it is a common filtering tool, especially for foreign medical graduates, because most of us apply with the whole USMLE package (sometimes even with Step3) and the amount of FMG-Applicants seems to rise.

So the competition is getting tougher, and as the number of applicants rises, filters will be used tighter and more frequently, so I still think that I´ll be sorted out because of my step2 score. (I think we FMGs will be screened on Step1 and 2, so my Step1 score won´t count as my Step2 Score drags me down)

Nonetheless, I´ll work hard for during my electives...just feel like everything I have worked for and sacrifices I made during the last months/years was worthless.
 
Thank you Max for your reply.

Although I agree with you that there is more to an applicant than just his score, it is a common filtering tool, especially for foreign medical graduates, because most of us apply with the whole USMLE package (sometimes even with Step3) and the amount of FMG-Applicants seems to rise.

So the competition is getting tougher, and as the number of applicants rises, filters will be used tighter and more frequently, so I still think that I´ll be sorted out because of my step2 score. (I think we FMGs will be screened on Step1 and 2, so my Step1 score won´t count as my Step2 Score drags me down)

Nonetheless, I´ll work hard for during my electives...just feel like everything I have worked for and sacrifices I made during the last months/years was worthless.


Hey Italian Guy,

I think you are a bit over-dramatic now 😉
You passed both exams on first try, will have done some electives in the US, be a fresh graduate when you apply for residency (when will you participate in the match?)...you need to relax a bit.
Besides, if you plan on doing Step3 before your application you get another chance to show a raise in performance.