Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MS1 who is 1000% commited to psych at a mid-high US MD school. I've been intentionally diverting time from classes towards building relationships with potential letter writers, getting psychiatry experience, STEP, and extracurriculars. As a result, I score 1.5-2 SD below the mean, but I'm not in danger of failing.
My MS2 big who wants to go into PM&R told me that he regrets studying so much for classes and not STEP, which I've also seen reiterated on SDN. I've also read in this psych forum and heard from a resident that most of what is taught in med school is not useful for psychiatrists. And lastly, I don't feel motivated to study the other systems a ton because of lack of interest.
Ultimately, my goal is to match in the area of my med school, but not at a top top program. Am I doing too poorly in my classes? Thanks.
Edit: Changed 2 SD to 1.5-2 SD
My MS2 big who wants to go into PM&R told me that he regrets studying so much for classes and not STEP, which I've also seen reiterated on SDN. I've also read in this psych forum and heard from a resident that most of what is taught in med school is not useful for psychiatrists. And lastly, I don't feel motivated to study the other systems a ton because of lack of interest.
Ultimately, my goal is to match in the area of my med school, but not at a top top program. Am I doing too poorly in my classes? Thanks.
Edit: Changed 2 SD to 1.5-2 SD
Last edited: