Scoring A 300 On Oat

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering, how hard is it to score at least a 300 in each section of the OAT? Is it like getting a 50% on each section?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

It's not getting a 50% in each section, and it's not 'easy' to get a 300 in every section. I received a 310 in Biology if I remember correctly due to the range of topics you need to study (and I hadn't taken all of my classes presented on the test yet..).

I'm not sure what materials you're using to study, but I used Kaplan's online system and it prepared my very well and my scores on their practice tests we pretty close to my actual results overall.

As long as you put in the time and actually retain the information you learned and studied, you'll do fine. Shoot for a 320 overall with nothing below 300 and you'll at least get an interview at most schools as long as your undergrad GPA isn't too low.

Good luck!

It's not getting a 50% in each section, and it's not 'easy' to get a 300 in every section. I received a 310 in Biology if I remember correctly due to the range of topics you need to study (and I hadn't taken all of my classes presented on the test yet..).

I'm not sure what materials you're using to study, but I used Kaplan's online system and it prepared my very well and my scores on their practice tests we pretty close to my actual results overall.

As long as you put in the time and actually retain the information you learned and studied, you'll do fine. Shoot for a 320 overall with nothing below 300 and you'll at least get an interview at most schools as long as your undergrad GPA isn't too low.

Good luck!

I am using chads videos for concepts and then in practice with the Oat destroyer. For practice exams, I use kaplans practice exams and the one from aoa website. I also plan on checking out I at achieved....shall take this exam end of month and have the last week dedicated to practice exams.

It really depends on what areas you are stronger in. I got an overall score of 300, was decent on the Biology and physics. I did not have OChem taken yet, (really low score). So my total science score was 270 ( and that hurt my chances of getting in this year). So its not just your overall score, they also want a good total science score. I got a 390 on the Reading Comp. though. And the QR section was really tough. Kaplan review books, or at least the one I had, was not a very good book study question, it was not even close to what was on the real test. Its not easy, and I only had about a month to prepare for the test, I was applying late. I have decided to abandon my plan for optometry, since the future of optometry is looking pretty bleak (overall). I decided its not worth the time, money and sweat. Since I am already an RN, I decided toward NP/PA instead.

It really depends on what areas you are stronger in. I got an overall score of 300, was decent on the Biology and physics. I did not have OChem taken yet, (really low score). So my total science score was 270 ( and that hurt my chances of getting in this year). So its not just your overall score, they also want a good total science score. I got a 390 on the Reading Comp. though. And the QR section was really tough. Kaplan review books, or at least the one I had, was not a very good book study question, it was not even close to what was on the real test. Its not easy, and I only had about a month to prepare for the test, I was applying late. I have decided to abandon my plan for optometry, since the future of optometry is looking pretty bleak (overall). I decided its not worth the time, money and sweat. Since I am already an RN, I decided toward NP/PA instead.

Hi, yes, I hear the same complaints about the qr section. Qr is not hard, its just the time constraint that hurts students. I haven't taken it yet but am planning soon. When I study physics using oat destroyer I feel bad because it is hard for me. Then I hear it will be conceptual physics questions and i get lost on where to start. Overall, first time will be a demo for me, but I plan on doing very good, as I dont want to study anymore and get my life rolling.

Listen, don't let the naysayers put you down. Trust and believe yourself. If you want optometry, the respect and the authorization to help people with their vision, please focus and try again. I hear IAUPR accepts low stats.

Remember, to succeed we must fail first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjYoKCBYag&feature=youtube_gdata_player