SCORING IN STEP 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Volkmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here and though I sat for step 1 a few days ago I'm a bit hazy regarding the scoring process. I heard the latest average and SD are 227 and 22 respectively. Does this mean a score of 249 would result in a two digit score of 82 or 83?? If so does that mean around 18% of students get over 250?? I always thought 250 was super hard and only about 5% cracked that score. Can someone please explain it to me?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The two digit score is unimportant, and furthermore does not indicate a certain percentile. More people get higher scores these days, and this has been an ongoing trend for long. It's probably due to more competition and better ways of preparation.

The two digit score is unimportant, and furthermore does not indicate a certain percentile. More people get higher scores these days, and this has been an ongoing trend for long. It's probably due to more competition and better ways of preparation.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Honestly felt Ok after the exam but reading the threads on this forum made me realise I'd need around 90% correct to get 250. Seems almost impossible. :(

Ok, thanks for the reply. Honestly felt Ok after the exam but reading the threads on this forum made me realise I'd need around 90% correct to get 250. Seems almost impossible. :(

i dont think thats correct. i think 90% will get you closer to 260, i think that was what had been posted earlier