Scoring low on AAMC practice test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCATs on Aug. 22nd, and I'm currently doing practice tests (done with the study material). So far my scores on the AAMC practice tests have been:

#3 - PS7, VR7, BS6 (20)
#4 - PS7, VR9, BS8 (24)

I'm a little worried with these relatively low scores, any input on what I should do and is this a bad sign?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah so far those are the only tests i've taken. I'm aiming on completing all the other AAMC tests (#5-10) before the 22nd.

It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one out there with < 30 AAMC practice test scores. I've taken 7,8,9,10 under timed conditions scoring an average of 8 on every section. Hopefully reviewing all of the solutions to the problems will help me understand what I'm missing.

Try to review the questions and read the concepts in your review book to see if there is any discrepancy within your method of thought...

I find when im reading a passage I think to myself.. what chapter review books does this relate to? what do i know about it?

Try to set up some rules for yourself when you are reviewing practice tests... for example, whenever I'd get ruined by a passage it would mostly be because I was trying to apply TOO much. Now I have a set process in my head about how I will tackle passages... for ex: if the passage is talking about reactions, there are many steps listed, and a catalyst is mentioned... I'll remind myself that questions will _probably_ ask about concepts from my rates chapter. I don't know.. I realize it sounds simple and obvious, but its easy to forget the simple steps/get bogged down when you're tackling problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly those scores are less than ideal, but I've been there so don't worry too much.

The most important thing is to keep a consistently increasing trend with your overall scores with each practice test you take.

The AAMC tests are significantly easier than the actual MCAT will be (not sure why).

AAMC 9 and 10 are as close to the actual MCAT difficulty as it gets. Build your skills before you take these tests. I would also advice you to go over the content based questions you've missed. It's amazing how many points you'll get just from those easy questions.

Good luck

Review the relevant material for the questions you've missed. AAMC online tests make this really easy with their score review. Make a note of what sections you miss and review those areas. Also, read the passage and question carefully. You have no idea how many questions I have missed because I missed a small detail mentioned in either the passage or question. It still happens now. :mad:

If I were you, I would postpone my exam to september so I'll have more time to study. I would better take the test when I am prepared than apply with low score and risk not getting any acceptance.

I'm taking the MCATs on Aug. 22nd, and I'm currently doing practice tests (done with the study material). So far my scores on the AAMC practice tests have been:

#3 - PS7, VR7, BS6 (20)
#4 - PS7, VR9, BS8 (24)

I'm a little worried with these relatively low scores, any input on what I should do and is this a bad sign?

Hey Relic, Lots of people score very low in the beginning... and work their way up. Aug 22nd might be too soon to get to your goal. My advice would be to study high yield concepts using Princeton Review. They are the most conceptual and don't cut corners like EK. You also need to diagnose your problem - are you okay with the concepts? Do you get anxious when you are taking the full lenths? etc..

Either way, do not worry too much - hard work will get you where you want to be.

Also, read the passage and question carefully. You have no idea how many questions I have missed because I missed a small detail mentioned in either the passage or question. It still happens now.
Yeah this is my biggest problem now. I think on my first AAMC, 50% of questions I missed were either stated in the passage or based on passage information that I did not apply correctly. It's been slowly getting better (AAMCs and Kaplans are rising!), I just hope I can pull it up to my target score before my test date...