scoring on the shelf exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the raw % score for the different shelf exams?

At my school you have to be better than the 5th percentile (i.e. score in the top 95th percentile) to pass. Sounds easy, but then I've come to realize that medical students are just nuts about exam scores, and the national average moves up every year so that 95 is now the median score on the family medicine shelf...well maybe it's not THAT bad...at least not YET.

OK, rant over. Does anyone know what the median score is for the different shelf exams? Any links would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
5th percentile is usually in the low to mid 50's from my research. Its true even that required a lot of work to achieve!!

At my school you have to be better than the 5th percentile (i.e. score in the top 95th percentile) to pass. Sounds easy, but then I've come to realize that medical students are just nuts about exam scores, and the national average moves up every year so that 95 is now the median score on the family medicine shelf...well maybe it's not THAT bad...at least not YET.

OK, rant over. Does anyone know what the median score is for the different shelf exams? Any links would be appreciated.

Sounds like you go to the top DO school in the nation as far as board scores are concerned :D....I agree, you do have to work and study to pass the shelf exams.....

Members don't see this ad :)
well I'm hitting the low to mid fifties right now, but I'd really like to see a break down of the curve from the last few years...

And for the record, I attend a top 5 U.S. public allopathic school (just perpetuating the MD---DO rift)

just get 75 on them,it's not that hard

top 5 public allo so that must be either UCSF, U Wash, U Mich, UCLA, or UCSD?

just get 75 on them,it's not that hard

top 5 public allo so that must be either UCSF, U Wash, U Mich, UCLA, or UCSD?

Not WUSTL, since the poster says they're doing an FM rotation (not part of the Wash U curriculum)

ayeeeeeeee does my school really matter that much?!

So a 75% is doable...here comes mock exam #1....how much will it mock me?

ayeeeeeeee does my school really matter that much?!

Not really but since you brought it up you better go to a legitimate top 5 public school.

I think shelf exams correlate well with step 1 performance so if you're good at tests you'll be in good shape.

Or else what pinkertinkle? You'll give me a cyberwedgie and steal my lunch money?:scared:

You're right. Since I started attending this university, it probably dropped to a top 10 spot rather than a top 5.

Especially with my first mock exam score coming back at a 53%:eek:

BOTTOM LINE: LESS SDN AND MORE STUDYING:idea:

I beleive this is from NBME, we get it with our scores. does everyone else get the same chart? the format didn't copy but for each exam the high number is the avg, the low is passing

Examination
National Mean
Minimum
Passing Score
Internal Medicine
75.2​
58​
Obstetrics / Gynecology
72.6​
56​
Pediatrics
74.6​
58​
Psychiatry
76.3​
51​
Family Medicine
72​
49​
Surgery
71.8​
54​

I beleive this is from NBME, we get it with our scores. does everyone else get the same chart? the format didn't copy but for each exam the high number is the avg, the low is passing

Examination
National Mean
Minimum
Passing Score
Internal Medicine
75.2​
58​
Obstetrics / Gynecology
72.6​
56​
Pediatrics
74.6​
58​
Psychiatry
76.3​
51​
Family Medicine
72​
49​
Surgery
71.8​
54​

Thanks for this info. Any info on the neurology shelf?

I do not know why there is always so much confusion about this:

Shelf exams come from the NBME with a mean score of 70 and a standard deviation of 8. Period. Every subject. Every test.

What your school does with the score is up to them (ie. adding points to it to curve it up, setting cutoffs for honors, whatever).

There is really no ambiguity about the scoring from the NBME's end though.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/ome/helpful_hints/shelf_scores.pdf One of a billion places that will tell you the same thing. Didn't feel like finding it on the NBME site.

I do not know why there is always so much confusion about this:

Shelf exams come from the NBME with a mean score of 70 and a standard deviation of 8. Period. Every subject. Every test.

What your school does with the score is up to them (ie. adding points to it to curve it up, setting cutoffs for honors, whatever).

There is really no ambiguity about the scoring from the NBME's end though.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/ome/helpful_hints/shelf_scores.pdf One of a billion places that will tell you the same thing. Didn't feel like finding it on the NBME site.

Then how can the national average be higher on certain tests than others?