scramble experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elinj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so now That i have finished my interviews for this season....i have to ask if anyone has had an experience or advice for the scramble?

I know everyone here is so worried about ranking 8-15 places but for me i had only 4 interviews....so i have to be realistic that i might have to go to the scramble. So what are the chances in the scramble for advanced yr?

Members don't see this ad.

so now That i have finished my interviews for this season....i have to ask if anyone has had an experience or advice for the scramble?

I know everyone here is so worried about ranking 8-15 places but for me i had only 4 interviews....so i have to be realistic that i might have to go to the scramble. So what are the chances in the scramble for advanced yr?

The chances aren't good I'm sorry to tell you. I was in the scramble last year and it sucks. Almost every place I contacted either said they had already filled, I assume with someone from their affiliated medical school, or they told me that they weren't participating in the scramble and didn't intend to fill the open position. You'd probably be in a better position if you can at least get a prelim spot and can focus on anesthesiology jobs. I didn't rank prelims because I thought it would hurt my chances in the scramble by preventing my application to categorical programs, but that was probably a mistake. I hope you've interviewed at lots of preliminary medicine programs just in case. You'll feel alot better knowing you have a job for the next year at least.

If at all possible, have someone call one or more of the 4 programs on your behalf to put in a good word and see where you stand, because it'd be much better to just match and forget the scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
TYs are super competitive, and people from Derm, Rads, etc. gun for them. If one is having problems matching into anesthesia, a TY year is out of the question.

thanks for the advice guys....yeah i have had a few ty(6) and prelim med(7)interviews, but really just a few anesthesia ones. the first year ones have been in smaller hospitals werent associated with a formal anesthesia program inhouse except 2 of them.

i guess we'll see...more just preparing, and gettin a back up ready