Scramble/Prelim Question for Anesthesia!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meds1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a question for people who are experienced with scrambling into a first year prelim-med program. Here is my situation, Im applying to anesthesia and prelim med. I didnt get too many interviews given that my CS score came in very late in the season. Step 1 was a 223/93 step 2 was a 227/94. I am from a Caribbean school.

So obviously, Ill apply to any open anesthesia positions if they are available, but I realize this is unlikely to happen. I will also apply to any Prelim- IM positions. Does anyone recommend paying attention to any specific programs that tend to not fill in the match?

Finally, the main question, what do people think about trying to match into a categorical IM position and leaving after one year if i cant find a prelim spot? How is this done, what are the downsides etc...

I appreciate any advice as I feel Im in a real jam here and dont want to loose a complete year. By the way, Id really like to avoid prelim-surg!

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone in the match!

Members don't see this ad.