scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to admit on this site if they have to scramble.
I ask since, this will be one of the first placces I look if my program doesn't fill
I feel like I know some of you pretty well

Good luck to all of you this week and may you make through Monday night and NOT hear anything- since no news will be good news

Members don't see this ad.

if i am scrambling i might do the old drink and type monday night - ok monday afternoon. I would cop to it. Hopefully I won't have to!

adleyinga said:
Good luck to all of you this week and may you make through Monday night and NOT hear anything- since no news will be good news
Actually you should find out Monday at noon EST whether you matched or not, so no news isn't really an option. I'm just writing so that you know to check the computer tomorrow and hopefully have the message that you matched. I think it'll say whether you matched categorical or advanced too, so we'll get a hint about our match on Monday before the big day Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
nolagas said:
Actually you should find out Monday at noon EST whether you matched or not, so no news isn't really an option. I'm just writing so that you know to check the computer tomorrow and hopefully have the message that you matched. I think it'll say whether you matched categorical or advanced too, so we'll get a hint about our match on Monday before the big day Thursday.

That'll give me major clues because I ranked
1) advanced
2) advanced
3) advanced
4) categorical

Here's the age old question:

Will they specifically let us know if we did not match in anesthesiology but matched in transitional/prelim? or vice versa?

IT would suck going into THursday thinking you've matched but in fact you did not get an advanced position (and all the scramble spots have taken already) :thumbdown:

Anyone want to clarify this?

Daredevil said:
Here's the age old question:

Will they specifically let us know if we did not match in anesthesiology but matched in transitional/prelim? or vice versa?

IT would suck going into THursday thinking you've matched but in fact you did not get an advanced position (and all the scramble spots have taken already) :thumbdown:

Anyone want to clarify this?

That is my understanding. However, it is in your best interest to not have ranked any prelim programs on your primary list so that you may have a shot at unfilled categorical anesthesia spots.

They will tell you specifically what you did not match. Just so you know, if you have matched both, it will just say you have matched, but no more info.

I wrote an email to a prelim program that historically went unfilled in the match about a week or two ahead of time and told the PD that I would be calling him first thing if I had to scramble. He replied ok, I'll be waiting for your call.

toughlife said:
That'll give me major clues because I ranked
1) advanced
2) categorical
3) advanced
4) categorical

:laugh:
Well I ranked 10 categorical and 4 advanced with no overlap, so for me Monday's message will narrow the field some. I'd imagine that's the case for lots of applicants, but I guess you'll get no hints.

nolagas said:
:laugh:
Well I ranked 10 categorical and 4 advanced with no overlap, so for me Monday's message will narrow the field some. I'd imagine that's the case for lots of applicants, but I guess you'll get no hints.

true.

I thought the OP was asking if anyone would have the balls to announce that they had gotten a not matched and were getting ready to scramble! I thought the no news is good news was talking about SDN - it is hard to believe I have made it this far with my complete inability to pay attention to details!

Sugar72 said:
I thought the OP was asking if anyone would have the balls to announce that they had gotten a not matched and were getting ready to scramble! I thought the no news is good news was talking about SDN - it is hard to believe I have made it this far with my complete inability to pay attention to details!

that may be a problem for unmatched female applicants given their lack thereof.

toughlife said:
that may be a problem for unmatched female applicants given their lack thereof.

I'm sure i can find some to borrow for a couple of hours - any takers?

Members don't see this ad :)
nolagas said:

Are we sure that tomorrow we'll find out if we matched "catagorical" or "advanced"? If so, this is huge because my number 1 is catagorical and my number 2 is advanced and I'm pretty sure I'll get my number 2.

Does anyone from last year know if this is the case. If it is, I'll essentially know where I matched tomorrow. Can someone confirm this?

Steel_City said:
Are we sure that tomorrow we'll find out if we matched "catagorical" or "advanced"? If so, this is huge because my number 1 is catagorical and my number 2 is advanced and I'm pretty sure I'll get my number 2.

Does anyone from last year know if this is the case. If it is, I'll essentially know where I matched tomorrow. Can someone confirm this?

If you matched the advanced and filled a spot in your supplementary list, it will say that you matched and that is it.

If you get an advanced and no prelim, it will say that you match for PGY2-4 years and you can scramble for a prelim.

Therefore, it really depends if you filled both your prelim and advanced spot. I am 90 % positive this is how it works.

the way i understand it, the message only delineates if you did not match into something. so you arent' going to get any specific information if you matched. for ex, they aren't going to say, "congratulations, you mathced into an advanced and a prelim position," if you matched. instead, they say, "congratulations, you matched," for any result/combination that leads to you not having to scramble. am i wrong?

fre****y said:
the way i understand it, the message only delineates if you did not match into something. so you arent' going to get any specific information if you matched. for ex, they aren't going to say, "congratulations, you mathced into an advanced and a prelim position," if you matched. instead, they say, "congratulations, you matched," for any result/combination that leads to you not having to scramble. am i wrong?
Yeah, that's right. I had heard that it would say you matched into a PGY1 and PGY 2-4 position, but that wasn't true. :( It will only say that about the PGY 2-4 in you ranked PGY 1 positions and didn't get one. Sorry for passing on misinformation.

fre****y said:
Yeah, that's right. I had heard that it would say you matched into a PGY1 and PGY 2-4 position, but that wasn't true. :( It will only say that about the PGY 2-4 in you ranked PGY 1 positions and didn't get one. Sorry for passing on misinformation. Good luck to everyone sitting by the computer for the next 46 minutes.

clipartsaintpatricksfourleafcl.gif

No Scrambling Here!!! Matched :)

I just saw the regional stats for anesthesiology

there are 13 Categorical spots unfilled and 11 advanced spots. Just a head uip for your people

only 4 spots open in the northeast. 2 in the western region

I am a nontraditional candidate with 3 years of general surgery completed and I took a long time to see the light.
Any ideas?

adleyinga said:
Is anyone going to admit on this site if they have to scramble.
I ask since, this will be one of the first placces I look if my program doesn't fill
I feel like I know some of you pretty well

Daredevil said:
I just saw the regional stats for anesthesiology

there are 13 Categorical spots unfilled and 11 advanced spots. Just a head uip for your people

only 4 spots open in the northeast. 2 in the western region

where did you get this info? i thought that info wasn't out until noon tomorrow. Please tell me everything you know -- I'm scrambling.

Thanks! -- fluffer

Trauma Fluffer said:
where did you get this info? i thought that info wasn't out until noon tomorrow. Please tell me everything you know -- I'm scrambling.

Thanks! -- fluffer

Logon to NRMP. Click on my reports (on the left column). You will see "List of Reports", click on Regional Match Statistics by Specialty . YOu will see a map with 2 tables undernearth it. ONe is for PGY-1 and the other for PGy-2

I am scrambling for a prelim tomorrow! I matched UAB yeah! My dean told me where I matched this am. SO now we know for sure how it works! Totally not stressed out about it - glad I am only scramling for a prelim - looks like pickings will be slim for anesthesia programs.

Sugar72 said:
I am scrambling for a prelim tomorrow! I matched UAB yeah! My dean told me where I matched this am. SO now we know for sure how it works! Totally not stressed out about it - glad I am only scramling for a prelim - looks like pickings will be slim for anesthesia programs.

Congratz on UAB.. there are quite a few prelim spots out there for scramblers

Sugar72 said:

does that mean,you will scramble to a prelim designated tom? b/c there are a whole lot of unfilled prelim positions, but i think those are undesignated?

bafootchi said:
does that mean,you will scramble to a prelim designated tom? b/c there are a whole lot of unfilled prelim positions, but i think those are undesignated?
designated, undesignated I got no idea what the hell that means. Someone did send me an email about designated is easier to get a spot than undesignated - but like i said i don't know what that means. I will be doing a surgery prelim at Uof Az. I'm going to start practicing my one hand ties and saying sonometer instead of centimeter.

how many people do you think are scrambling for anesthesia?

MD/TX2006 said:
how many people do you think are scrambling for anesthesia?

The official AAMC data released in December showed about 1800 USG and 1000 FMG/IMG submitted ERAS applications for anesthesia this year.

There were 1300 spots available this year.

2800 - 1300 = 1500 scrambling for 24 spots

thanks... i hope everything works out for everyone doing this. :thumbup: