killahB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
hey,
i'm an unmatched applicant from a surgical subspecialty (ent), and i'm looking to scramble into a medicine spot (categorical). do people here know historically whether good medicine spots go unfilled? And by good, i mean places where you stand a chance at getting a good fellowship. I'm totally naive to IM programs, so clue me in.
killah

dkwyler94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
killahB said:
hey,
i'm an unmatched applicant from a surgical subspecialty (ent), and i'm looking to scramble into a medicine spot (categorical). do people here know historically whether good medicine spots go unfilled? And by good, i mean places where you stand a chance at getting a good fellowship. I'm totally naive to IM programs, so clue me in.
killah
Yes, frequently good programs go unfilled. You should still be able to find a good program to scramble into. Most fellowships (except Cards, GI) are pretty open. Of course certain ones are tough to get into, but you can find one somewhere.

Good luck

speyeder

Attending
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
killahB said:
hey,
killah

Each year, there are good programs that don't fill for various reasons in IM. Go to scutwork.com and look at the unfilled programs for 2004 & 2003 to get an idea of the types of programs that were available in the past. If you were qualified enough to get ENT interviews, you should be a very competitive candidate to scramble into a good IM program. Just make sure your school's dean's office can help you with the scrambling process to get your apps in early. It'll be a hectic day with lots of faxing and waiting.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
make sure you've completed the eras since I think ent uses another application. medicine is very different from ent, in that there's no operating. why not surgery or something a little more similar?

OP
K

killahB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
doc05,
the reason I'm not picking G-surg is that i was miserable on that month during my 3rd year clerkship . I do like doing procedures, and I was looking into a field like cardiology or pulmonology if I did IM. Now I know that its hard to get into those fields, but if I go into a good program, I think I can get it. I picked ENT because it was the most medical of the surgical subspecialties, too bad that didn't work out.