scrambling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yayforscrambling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scrambled last year, and in the back of my mind I knew it would happen because I only had 5 invites.

I've done a lot in the last year (MBA, volunteering, etc...), and I've applied very broadly this time. However, still, I only have 10 interviews lined up.

Can someone flat out tell me as blunt as possible how screwed I am? I guess the real question is : how many invites do you need to start "feeling safe". I realize there's no real right answer, but could anyone share their thoughts on this?

many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I scrambled last year, and in the back of my mind I knew it would happen because I only had 5 invites.

I've done a lot in the last year (MBA, volunteering, etc...), and I've applied very broadly this time. However, still, I only have 10 interviews lined up.

Can someone flat out tell me as blunt as possible how screwed I am? I guess the real question is : how many invites do you need to start "feeling safe". I realize there's no real right answer, but could anyone share their thoughts on this?

many thanks in advance.

You proabably need to be more specific - Step 1 / Step 2 / red flags (professional issues, failures)
Also how many schools did you apply to - invites:rejections - I think it is an important indicator
Also how are your interview and interpersonal skills - are you a teamplayer, etc.?
I'm pretty sure no one can just deteermine your chances purely by how many interviews you have - some people match with 1 interview some people like yourself didn't match with 5 interviews. Just because you have lots of interviews does not guarantee you'll match. Its a holistic view just like family medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I do need to be more specific.

I'm a recent graduate of an average US (midwest) state MD school, average board scores, all passes on the first try except Step 2 CS which I managed to fail twice (i.e. passing it on the third try). Step 2CS has honestly been like the kiss of death on my application. Was dead set on Medicine last year, so my LORs were all 100% written for medicine. When I realized I wasn't getting many interviews in November last year, I switched gears and applied to FM at the last minute using the Medicine letters (didn't bother writing an FM PS).

In this last year (i.e. after an unsuccessful scramble), as I mentioned, I've managed to get through most of the MBA program which I will be done with by the time residency (theoretically) starts. I got my (barely passing) Step 3 score a few days before 9/15 when ERAS opened. All my letters are targeted specifically for FM (unlike last year) - so is my personal statement. Some sporadic volunteering at my medical school's homeless clinic.

Applied to a total of 50 FM programs, primarily in OH, PA, and MI, submitting ERAS the second it opened. As mentioned, 10 interviews so far. The biggest difference between this year and last year is that I got ALL of last year's invites before my 2nd Step 2 CS failing score came out (it had come out by the time programs ranked me though).

My strongest skills would probably be in interviewing. At least I've been told so by the few programs who cared to give me feedback on my next application. Almost all of them told me my biggest weakness was Step 2 CS.

Not only would your thoughts be appreciated, but I am really struggling in coming up with a backup plan in the event I don't match again. Primarily a backup plan that involves making money. As you can imagine, this last year has been financially traumatic.

Thanks again!

I guess I do need to be more specific.

I'm a recent graduate of an average US (midwest) state MD school, average board scores, all passes on the first try except Step 2 CS which I managed to fail twice (i.e. passing it on the third try). Step 2CS has honestly been like the kiss of death on my application. Was dead set on Medicine last year, so my LORs were all 100% written for medicine. When I realized I wasn't getting many interviews in November last year, I switched gears and applied to FM at the last minute using the Medicine letters (didn't bother writing an FM PS).

In this last year (i.e. after an unsuccessful scramble), as I mentioned, I've managed to get through most of the MBA program which I will be done with by the time residency (theoretically) starts. I got my (barely passing) Step 3 score a few days before 9/15 when ERAS opened. All my letters are targeted specifically for FM (unlike last year) - so is my personal statement. Some sporadic volunteering at my medical school's homeless clinic.

Applied to a total of 50 FM programs, primarily in OH, PA, and MI, submitting ERAS the second it opened. As mentioned, 10 interviews so far. The biggest difference between this year and last year is that I got ALL of last year's invites before my 2nd Step 2 CS failing score came out (it had come out by the time programs ranked me though).

My strongest skills would probably be in interviewing. At least I've been told so by the few programs who cared to give me feedback on my next application. Almost all of them told me my biggest weakness was Step 2 CS.

Not only would your thoughts be appreciated, but I am really struggling in coming up with a backup plan in the event I don't match again. Primarily a backup plan that involves making money. As you can imagine, this last year has been financially traumatic.

Thanks again!

If your strongest skill was interviewing + you had 5 interviews + FM PDs say the most important factor in ranking someone AFTER the invite is the interview...then I am surprised that you didn't match in both the regular match and the scramble. You should probably take a closer look at other potential deficiencies and address them accordingly. Also if you interview skills are your strongest suit, surprised you failed Step 2 CS several times. My understanding is that there are quite a few schools that allow step 1 failures but not step 2 CS failures so that could be a reason why you aren't getting as many IV as you would like.

I think candidates have to sell themselves as someone who not only fits a program but also someone who won't be a headache for staff and PD + fills the needs of the program. My advice would be to find a honest advisor (who will tell it like it is) and can help point out your deficiencies because just reading your post i.e. "didn't bother writing a FM PS" just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not a program director but perhaps a PD could give you better advice.

Also I'm not sure what a MBA will do for your application - do FPs really need a MBA? perhaps do something in the realm of clinical research because publications are actual contributions to medicine and take hard work. Anybody can get an online MBA nowadays from those for-profit-schools but not just anyone can get peer-reviewed research articles published.

Lastly are you doing anything clincally. Again I'm not a PD (perhaps someone from adminsistration can chime in) but I would be nervous as a PD to choose someone who has not done anything clinically (i.e. scribe, observership) for one year

Last edited:
Is having 10 ii too little to be safe? The 2014 charting the outcomes said once you rank 10+ FM programs, your chance of matching is almost 100%... Am I missing something here?

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

That stat applies to only US seniors.
It doesnt apply to independent applicants (OP is one)
Independent applicants include IMGs, former US grads, etc. In fact the line never comes close to 100% for independent applicants. if you see at 20 continuguous ranks for indepdentn applicatns the proability of matching is a tick above 90%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user