Scranton DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard a peep out of from scranton DPT? Acceptances, rejections, waitlisted, etc? Just curious...the are the only school that I have heard zilch from. Well them and kentucky...

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a rejection letter from the University of Scranton. It said that my overall application is not at a competitive level with their current accepted applicant pool. This is no surprise to me, I didn't expect to get in anywhere because of my abysmal GRE scores but I hope that the poor GRE scores are the only reason that I did not get accepted.

I'm wondering if it is wrong to contact the school to find out if it was only my GRE scores that got me rejected.

Aside from my poor GRE scores, my stats are:

Course Graded
Hours GPA Hours
< 2.0 Hours
P/CR/AP Total
Hours

Total 162.00 3.18 5.00 0.00 162.00 Combined Science and Math 44.00 2.94 4.00 0.00 44.00 Science 24.00 3.56 0.00 0.00 24.00 Self-reported PT Prerequisite GPA 31.00 3.53 0.00 0.00 31.00

So total GPA is 3.18 and Prerequisite GPA is 3.53. But this does not include my Fall 2011 and Winter 2012 grades which were a total of 7 courses with grades of four A's, one A-, one B+ and one F. One of those four A's was for a prerequisite course. Despite the F, I think those other six grades would push my GPA up. These grades haven't been updated in to PTCAS yet even though I sent the transcript through my school but only did so this week. Not that I think that matters as my GRE scores are too low.

Other things about me. I've been working as a Licensed PTA since January 2007. But for 5 years I worked in only one spot: a nursing home that was sub acute to long term. I have no Pediatric experience except maybe observing very little while I was doing my clinical at one hospital during PTA school. But all my experience is really just nursing home/skilled nursing facility.

Only volunteer/extracurricular work I did was in my current school during Open House.

I have 3 references, two from PTs that I worked with (one of them being my boss/director) and one from a COTA I worked with.

I made the Dean's List in May 2011.

3 places I worked that were non-PT related. All in retail sales.

I have certificates and licenses for CPR and AED, and First Aid in addition to my PTA license.

I think I did a good essay.

And last and I believe least is my GRE scores of Verbal: 144, Quantitative: 143 and Analytical: 4.

Based on my stats would you say that the only thing holding me back is my GRE scores?

I should add that i would still have to take 2 more prerequisites(which one is a prereq for the other: Gen Bio 1 and 2) for Scranton and that probably was a reason for the rejection also. They probably want no more than one prerequisite left by this time. Plus i sent in my AU transcript really late.

Last edited:
Just curious about the F. Is something you want to make up or is it just a whatever type of thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
The F was for a Major Elective course toward my Bachelors degree. I'm making it up by taking another Major Elective in it's place but wasn't thinking about taking the same exact course to make it up. I don't think it matters. The course was not a required course but a Major Elective that was a course amongst many other courses I could choose. If I retake that exact course in which I got the F in I don't think the new grade will replace the F. The F grade will still be there on my transcript. I might end up retaking that exact course if I can't find a better Major Elective to choose from. So it's kind of a whatever type thing.

Last edited:
Wow. I just realized the school doesn't even require GRE scores. Well I knew when I applied but I must have forgot.

But they do require Gen Bio 1 and 2 and at the moment I have neither of those complete. So that was a factor in the rejection. Also the program starts May 29 2012 so they probably have a deadline for when all prerequisites should be done and it probably would be before the year in which you are entering the program starts. And even if they don't have that deadline I wouldn't be able to complete both of those classes in time because I'd only have the Spring semester to do it and it's two classes which one is a prerequisite for the other and so requires 2 semesters.

Also at the time they sent me the rejection letter my GPA was 3.18 and they have a 3.2 minimum GPA requirement with a 3.5 average GPA for Accepted Students. Although had they seen my fall grades they would see that my overall GPA would be higher because of the grades I received this fall despite the F.

I did slip up with mailing the Academic Update late but even if they received my Fall grades on time and found my GPA to be satisfactory, i still would be one prerequisite deficient by the time the program started in May 29, 2012.

Hey guys, I applied to University of Scranton on Dec. 23, 2017. I haven't gotten an email from them
saying they have recieved my application...I called them last week and they said their system takes a while (4-5 weeks) to
process the application. I'm getting kind of scared now since their deadline is in three days... Has anyone here
applied to this school?

Hey guys, I applied to University of Scranton on Dec. 23, 2017. I haven't gotten an email from them
saying they have recieved my application...I called them last week and they said their system takes a while (4-5 weeks) to
process the application. I'm getting kind of scared now since their deadline is in three days... Has anyone here
applied to this school?
I applied here and got an email back in December with login and password info to access my account. I looked at the account and it just says “received” didn’t get an acceptance, rejection or waitlist message.